The Retouch Challenge I

• Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, it's time to exercise our PhotoShop skills. The challenge for this round is:
Evening out skin tone. But, it's not going to be all that easy. The image I am going to post is of a girl (a beautiful girl) with lots of tiny little freckles all over her face. The model was chosen specifically for her freckles so in your end result the model should still have freckles or you're disqualified. Have fun!!!

1 Week from today I will choose a winner. The winner will post the next challenge using an image they have rights to, and become the judge.

Maxium width to post in the forum is 600px

http://www.jamesbelk.com/belkmediagroup/images/stories/portfolio/photos/unedited/OI058108.jpg

Please, long after the challenge expires I encourage that you continue to use this page as a learning tool and continue to post your entries and ask questions.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, here's my entry.
Freckles :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man you certainly don't make it easy. *lol. Nice work on yours. This is an area of photoshop that I haven't ever touched. Not even certain where to begin. Time to dig into a couple tutes I recon.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

atno, tuts are always good, just make sure you don't go over board...
http://www.notesondesign.net/inspiration/graphic-design/photo-retouching-the-delicate-balance/

That might give you some good insight
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm giving this a shot. Learning a good bit as I go, but this isn't as easy as it looks. Going to need to do a lot more of this. There's quite a few photos I have that would be really cool to touch up like this. Good challenge.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK here is my first ever retouch.

Hi Res Entry

Attachments:
retouch.jpg

That was really difficult, not knowing a single thing about what I was doing. Made the mistake of trying an airbrushing technique first, but the way that was going would have been bye bye freckles. In addition to the skin retouch I tried a variety of other new things like brightening her eyes, whitening her teeth, enhancing her lips, removing skin blemishes and wrinkles, and since it wasn't a disqualifying factor (just to see if I could), I removed her tattoo. Over all for my first attempt ever, I'm pretty happy with the result.

For my own future reference, and for the benefit of others wanting to play around with it, I used and learned a heck of a lot from the following tutorials.

Basic Post Processing
Curves
Eye Enhancement
Whiten Teeth
Remove Tatoos
Retouching Lips
Retouching Skin
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

This looks like fun. I should play... If only someone would loan me about 60 extra hours for my week.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

given interruptions It took me about 6 hours on mine including reading the tutes.
  • waxlyrical
  • waxlyrical

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool I want to try this :) (I know what you mean graphixboy time just wont wait for me either).
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

well done atno. You used a lot of the same techniques as I did. She came out pretty good! :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like the bandwidth limit on Jame's server has been exceeded. If anyone else needs the file and wants to join in I've also made it available here:

http://www.alaron-nuclear.com/ozzu/OI058108.jpg
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMGoodness, I didn't even think about the image here. Sorry. Thanks ATNO. Ok, today is the last day to submit entries and tomorrow there will be a winner. Later, I will post my version of the image and explain how I did it. Thanks for participating. I hope more of you will join in next round.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Belk Media Group wrote:
I hope more of you will join in next round.

I will try to try :lol:
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry for the delay. Alright, the winner is, *drum roll* MindFullOfScience.

Great job to both participants, MindFullOfScience and ATNO.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for this challenge RD. Congrats MFS. I rather suspected yours would get the winning vote. I know you did a better job of blending.

For educational purposes I'd be interested to know exactly what your thoughts were in choosing his RD. For example if we were given this as a real time assignment, we'd present what we thought the client/boss was looking for and expect feedback and go back and do it again if they didn't like the finished product.

I'd also be curious MFS how you accomplished your blending of tones. Looking at yours I can see much more of a Gausian blur than I used (I think I used like 3 or 4 pixel blur). As noted I attempted an airbrush from a tute, but basically lost all the freckles, so instead I used a lot more of the healing tool.

Finally, if you don't mind sharing, it'd be educational if you could provide the psd to see what you actually did.

Regardless it was fun and educational at the same time. As previously noted I had never done a retouch, and learned several new techniques I had never tried.

I hope all the challenges are as effective as this one. Looking forward to seeing what you put up for your challenge MFS.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, I didn't keep a psd of the pic, but I'll try and recall what I did to the best of my ability.

I started out with duplicated the layer twice. At this point I had 3 layers - the original, one I would use for skin toning, and one I would use for initial lighting. I set the second layer in the stack to screen. This drastically improved the lighting of the image. The top layer I used the quick selection tool to quickly select all of the skin. Then I used the "refine edge" wizard to blast up the feather radius so that any changes I made would blend from the skin to other parts of the picture smoothly, I created a new layer via copy with this selection and applied a gausian blur of something around 5 I believe.

This gave me a good base to work with.

I duplicated the original once more and inverted the new layer. Then set it at the top of the stack. Then applied levels to this layer until I could clearly see the differences in the skin tone. I then set the active layer to the gaussian blurred layer and used the inverted layer as a guide for the spot healing brush, burn tool, and dodge tool - removing any rogue freckles, and evening out the redness under the eyes. .

Hmmm...what did I do next...

When I was done shaping out where I wanted the freckles to show (on the chin and under the eyes) I deleted the inverted layer. Then whitened the teeth (you can find tutorials all over the place for this), redened the lips, whitened the eyes.

I used the quick selection tool to pick up the yellowish area around the eyes, then applied a feather to the selection via the "refine selection" dialog. and used levels, curves, and hue/saturation to bring it closer to the surrounding flesh tones.

I finished up with a few adjustment layers, such as curves, levels, hue/satration, colorbalance, etc.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the explanation, especially how you did the skin!
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

MindFullOfScience are you going to post another challenge? Otherwise I'll toss something up in an effort to keep these going.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts