Transparecy

• mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,
I have a logo that is a circle, I want to have it ontop of one of my videos, but when I put the logo on, the circle has white all round it where it was transparent in photoshop. How to I fix this????
Any help appreciated,
Thanx
Rik :D
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, did you save it as a .gif? If it a jpeg, it WILL NOT be transparent when placing it on other images. When you go to save, File > Save For Web > make sure in the save box to choose .gif, and then make sure the box for Transparency is checked. It should work after that :D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're using Premiere to place your overlay, you'll need to create a matte from the same image to define the transparency. So, basically, you'll need two images; One for the graphic itself and on in grayscale to define the transparent bits, where black is completely transparent and white is completely opaque.
  • may
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Holland [NL]

Post 3+ Months Ago

fist of all, u need gif or png to get it transparent..

second, gif only knows transparent pixels or filled ones.. so if u have halftones between them creating the transparent looks in photoshop these will be conferted to the matte colour..

same problem we had during a site disign where we wanted a fixed background to shine through the menus ec..

the only way to do this seemed by java script wich will slow down your site more then considarably, we fixed this with the pixel knowlige of gif ;)

we created a gif picture that had the size of 2x2 pixels and only filled the top right with one pixel in the disired colour, then we used the td`s background feature to fill an entire TD wich got the transparent look...

Code: [ Select ]

=================
|   | XXXXXX| <= one filled pixel
|   | XXXXXX|
=================
|   |    |
|   |    |
=================
  1. =================
  2. |   | XXXXXX| <= one filled pixel
  3. |   | XXXXXX|
  4. =================
  5. |   |    |
  6. |   |    |
  7. =================

only problem is that u have a circle :S and the trick we used also created a lined / interlaced look on the background...

only way is te remove any halftone, and leave clear blank pixels in it to create transparancy..

ps :oops:

might be that png does accept halftones as being transparent, ony that would mean that your browser is going to render the halftones :S last time i checked IE didnt had that option :P

good luck and hope it helps
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

mtracerz wrote:
Hey,
I have a logo that is a circle, I want to have it ontop of one of my videos, but when I put the logo on, the circle has white all round it where it was transparent in photoshop. How to I fix this????
Any help appreciated,
Thanx

In Photoshop - choose, Save for Web from the File menu
Under the 'Dither' box is one called 'Matte', like someone else mentioned you need to save your image using that feature, click on the arrow and select how you want to specify what the matching colour is you are going to place the image on in your website or video etc. ie - if it is #FFFF00 then enter that)

When you now place the image over the background, it will put those colours around the edges of the transparent gif and make it blend in a lot better.

Hope that helps!
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

mtracerz wrote:
Hey,
Any help appreciated,
Thanx

I'm a little confused...

When you say you want this over a video, do you mean a bug, like on television, or a video playing in a lower layer of a web page?
  • mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its not a web page video its going on, its one im editing on Pinnacle.
I saved it as a gif, but dont think I checked the matte box, will go away and try that and see what results come out,
Thanx to everyone for their help
Rik
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it's for video, Save the image as a targa with an alpha transparency channel. Pinnacle should pick it up fine. If it doesn't, do what DM said and save the alpha channel seperately, then load it in pinnacle as an alpha map for the image overlay.

When it comes to video, though, it's best to save the image in a non-lossy format (like targa)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts