Transparency Issues in IE

• /dev/null
  • Loc: Beleriand

Post 3+ Months Ago

EDIT: AAAAACK! I posted this in the wrong place. No idea why. Please remove. OO;;

I'm designing and hosting a site for a writer friend of mine, and am having a problem with image transparency. <a href="http://annapolis.dorfpod.com/beepchu/" target="_new">Here is the layout</a>, try browsing it in Mozilla and IE.

Internet Explorer seems to have trouble figuring out that the background color of the image matches the background color of the page.
When the page is viewed with Mozilla Firebird, the colors match exactly, as they do in PSP and PS. When you bring up the page in IE, however, it looks like <a href="http://annapolis.dorfpod.com/beepchu/discoloration.png" target="_new">this</a>.

Any suggestions? I'm stuck.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

That URL isn't even coming up for me... IE's giving me DNS errors.

But, as far as colour differences...

Check this one out : Web Friendly 216 Colour Palette

Not all browsers, and not all versions will render HTML in exact colours (for example, <body bgcolor="#789ABC"> isn't a "web friendly" colour, so it would just find the nearest match from the 216 colour palette and use that) even though the images are shown in 24Bit/32Bit (24Bit for colours, the extra 8 bits are for transparency - like in PNG files).
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting the same DNS error as Axe and can't view the examples. However, to get you better help, I'm moving this to the Graphics Design board because this is related to the image design vs. webpage design.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're using PNG to achieve variable transparencies, you'll have to include a bit of javascript for IE to handle the graphic correctly. Otherwise, I've never run into an instance where browsers had control over color interpretation. I could well be wrong, but I would think that would be an OS/vid card issue.

I can't get your links either.

:(
  • intrepid design
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

My suggestion is that you make them .gif files with trasparancy, IE should be able to recognize this without any trouble.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

example?? can't help very much without seeing it :scratchhead:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts