Transparent image backgrounds

• mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,
im trying to make a cd cover for a disc I have made up, and i want to insert an image of an rc car, I cut this out of a whole picture, I took the background out so its just the car that shows. Then when I try to insert it white shows up around it.
Sorry if that doesnt make perfect sense, im using photoshop, but iv never used it before.
thanx
Rik
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are several methods of achieving this. I assume from your description that the original car image was on a white background. Perhaps you could post your materials? It might be easier to suggest an apporopriate method if you do.
  • mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, my car was in the middle of a jump, so i took out a load of trees n stuff, i cant post my stuff at the moment as my internet cuts off every 5-10 mins for some reason, cant seem to fix it, so dont have enough time to upload them.
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok when its in photo shop and has a white line around it use the magic wand tool thats what i would do !
  • mtracerz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtracerz

Post 3+ Months Ago

what i done was got the magnetic lasso tool, drew round the car, cut to new layer, deleted the first layer, then saved the second layer with just the car, then imported it to the thing i want it on, but the white was still there
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me, it tends to depend on the dimensions of the starting image and the size and media it's going to be in when it's done.

If the source was a hi enough resolution I would use the polygonal lasso to make my selection area, then copy that(ctrl + c), then paste it(ctrl + v), then hide the bottom layer(click on the eye in the layers palette). Don't ever delete your source layer.

After that, I would go back to my new layer, zoom in and with an erasor, set on brush mode, with a brush anywhere from 1 to 5 pixels, go around the entire perimeter to get any stray pixels.
  • DaremoAlpha
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • DaremoAlpha
  • Loc: Calgary Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Start a new layer first and set it up as transparent. Merge you picture onto the transparent background and then it will show whatever background you place in front of. Hope it works out for you.
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

DM hi,
Sorry for butting in on this topic.
I have found at long last that background effect that i wanted 'transparent' for an image i have.
I wanted to do my image in a web page..i do not expect you to remember lolol when i asked you for help on this topic.
Please will you look at my link to see what i mean.?
http://www.markme.com/mesh/archives/2004_01.cfm due to how faint it is you need to look very close DM, i want mine a bit - not much clearer than that but thats the idea.
Thanks.
:)
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you save the image as .gif?
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

No just now the image is a .jpg or possibly .png seeing as that the good way to save image - so they tell me.
Does an image like that page need to be a .gif? i can scan and save again.
Thanks dqualter for any assistance!
:)
  • DaremoAlpha
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • DaremoAlpha

Post 3+ Months Ago

PNG supports the transparent backgrounds
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

DaremoAlpha: yea but some times it needs to be set in some settings and dont always import transparent
i know .gif always dose . so try .gif and it will work
  • DaremoAlpha
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • DaremoAlpha

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea cool I will try that on the next signature I make for myself, then once I find a host place I will post it up :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts