Transparent image in Jacs Paintshop pro

• web dummy
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

Im having trouble making parts of an image transparent so as to overlay on
an image with parts of the underlaying image showing through such as in a Logo application. Im using Jasc Paintshop Pro, has anyone got advise or suggestions, I have been through several web based tutorials without success!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you asking how to make transparent gifs, or are you asking how to erase parts of one layer so that a layer underneath, shows through?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed, not quite sure what your asking. You can save for web, and save an image as a gif to give it a transparent background, after placing it on its own layer and then hiding the background.

If your just trying to get something to show through something else, you can mess with transparency or just use layers, erasing parts of upper layers to show whats beneath.

Good luck.
  • web dummy
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I trying to show parts of the underlaying picture (transparent) though the logo which is a gif image
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

a. With the image open in PSP, select the dropper tool.

b. Right click on top of the image color you wish to become transparent (selected color should show as the background color in the palette).

c. Press the Shift+Ctrl+V keys, answer Yes to the notice about number of colors and background layers.

d. Make the following selections in the Decrease Color Depth dialog (Optimized Median Cut, Error Diffusion and Reduce color bleeding), then select Ok.

f. The Set Palette Transparency dialog should appear.

g. Select the option Set the transparency value to the current background color, then select Proof to verify the transparent color is the one you wish, select Ok.

h. Drag and drop the image into an open browser window to ensure that the transparency has been saved.

Just remember that transparency can only be applied to one color, so if you have many shades of the color in close proximity to each other, you may have to edit the image to achieve your desired appearance.

Good luck...

C.C.

Note: if you are trying to apply this to a preexisting gif, then the color reduction dialog may not popup, but the need to establish which color is to be transparent will still be evident.
  • web dummy
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for that, I did this but the whole image became semi transparent and the colors where very fuzzy, I think heres a more descriptive sample of my problem

I have a jpeg image of a black donut shape on a white background and the donut has little white circles representing clock times, I want to make the white background transparent so I can paste the image onto what ever colored surface I want and not turning the little white circles on the donut become transparent as well.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then you need to replace the white background color with one that is unique on the image.

I'd probably use blue (#0000FF HEX or 0/0/255 RGB values) because it is likely to stand out nicely on your image, yet when made transparent, will go unseen in a browser window.

The image became partially transparent because you have too many different shades of white in your Background when you must have just one to make the entire bacground disappear.

The colors may have become fuzzy because you went from a jpg which supports 16 million colors, to a gif which only supports 256 colors, so some loss of clarity is to be expected.

If you continue to have difficulty, send the image to me and I'll do what I can to help.

Use the email link below VV
  • web dummy
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank's again, 404, i did as you suggested in the latter and that seems to work now ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts