Trying to Salvage Damaged JPEG Photos

• bubs
  • bubs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Everyone

This is my first post, and to be honest its urgent and important to me, so any help would be greatly appriciated. I took photos of my 1 month old daughter and my 2 year old daughter at the safari park and they are gorgeous photo's. My problem is i formatted my computer 2days ago and reinstalled vista. No my photos will not work with any program i tried these programs and get this message for each:

IrfanView: Can't read file header!, Unknown file or format or file not found.

Paint: Paint cannot read this file. This is not a valid bitmap, or its format is not currently supported.

Image Viewer: Couldn't display ******.JPG because a suitable graphics importer could not be found.

Please please please. My daughters birth pictures are doing the same thing. Can anyone help
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

See if this helps.
http://www.geocities.com/one_human/adva ... spaint_fix
  • bubs
  • bubs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Damn. It dont work. Thanks tho atno. Im really stuck, me thinks i just gota face losing my pics
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student
  • Gray539

Post 3+ Months Ago

bubs try downloading one of those free for 30 days file editors and see if there's anything in the file.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

as a matter of interest, how big are the files? (as in memory size, 100kb's for example)
  • bubs
  • bubs

Post 3+ Months Ago

@SB the files seem to be between 1.60 - 279mb
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

279 MB :shock:

Holy cow! That's a big JPG. That doesn't even sound like JPG. It sounds more like a TIFF or RAW file. Are you absolutely sure these are JPGs? Were you using your camera's software to view the images before the format?

The other possiblity that occurs to me is that they are, in fact, JPGs but use a funky color space.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

They are most likely a tiff at that size. And both Irfanview and Paint need a filter to display them I think.

I was doing a little reading. Do you have Microsoft Office and if so have you reinstalled it yet? I saw indications where Office installation will add the necessary filters to Paint.

Did you get my PM bubs? I left you my email address for you to email me one to take a look at it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to know where these images were during the format.

I'm confused about whether they were salvaged from the formatted HDD after the format, or if they were stored on a USB/external/etc drive or CD and just don't work now with the fresh system.

If the answer is the later you probably have no reason to worry, it will just be a matter of finding the right viewers again.
If you haven't tried them on another computer yet, sending ATNO one is probably a good idea. :)
  • bubs
  • bubs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all. Thanks for the responses. Yes i have a 13 megapixel camera. No i was using normal paint and windows photo gallery
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

bubs, you forgot to attach the picture in your email.
  • bubs
  • bubs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh what a tithead i am. Sorry there go, another one on the way
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student
  • Gray539

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bubs, I've been told you can replace the header if it's corrupted with a hex editor. You just copy and paste a good header from a similar jpeg. At lesast you will get it open if it's just a bad header.Haven't tried it but apparently it works.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

bubs wrote:
Oh what a tithead i am. Sorry there go, another one on the way

Sorry it took so long to reply but was busy. I got the email and the jpg, and it is a jpg (slightly over 3MB), but it's corrupted. No matter what image viewer I try to open it in including Photoshop and even Quicktime Image Viewer, gives the same or similar error messages as in your initial post. Changing file extension types doesn't help either.

The Photoshop error is probably the most accurate:
"Could not complete your request because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found."

At the moment I don't have the time to look up what that means. But the problem is definitely with the files and not the programs opening them.

I would refer to Joebert's questions and start analyzing things this way.

joebert wrote:
I want to know where these images were during the format.

I'm confused about whether they were salvaged from the formatted HDD after the format, or if they were stored on a USB/external/etc drive or CD and just don't work now with the fresh system.

If the answer is the later you probably have no reason to worry, it will just be a matter of finding the right viewers again.
If you haven't tried them on another computer yet, sending ATNO one is probably a good idea.

//edit Gray539 may be on target with his suggestion on restoring it but I don't quite know how to do that.
  • bubs
  • bubs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help Atno.
@Gray539. Im not sure how to do that sort of thing. Basically i have an external HD and a cd with the pics on. I believe that the photos have been corrupted by my external HD. But my CD wont work either. Sadly by the sounds of it, I have lost them. Thanks tho all.
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student
  • Gray539

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want I'll PM you my e-mail and you can send me one. If it's just the header I may be able to correct it. If it doesn't work, nothing lost. Let me know if you want to try that.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't give up so easily. The photos are obviously important to you. I did pull yours up in a hex editor and although I am totally clueless when it comes to knowing what to do with them, it does appear to be missing the JFIF info that would allow a photo editor to know how to open it.

I've read many places while i was looking for help where people have recommended PhotoRescue by DataRescue. It's only $29.99 US. I can't recommended it from experience, but considering it's inexpensive it might be worth dropping the money into it to save your photos.

http://www.datarescue.com/

Scroll down to near the bottom to the "accepted solution" in this link for additional info
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Gra ... 57887.html

//Edit - If you haven't arrived from Google, the accepted solution is actually hidden. Follow the first search result in this link
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ht ... h&aq=f&oq=
  • bubs
  • bubs

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes Gray539 please send me your email address and i will send u a picture. Thanks again Atno, i really appriciate your help. I tried data rescue and photo rescue and badcopy no luck tho
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student
  • Gray539

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've PM'd it to you bubs. After you send me one I'll give it a try and see what happens.
  • bubs
  • bubs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have sent you a pic. Have you received it gray?
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

just curious did anyone try to open the images on a mac? I've found that my mac can frequently open image files that windows believes to be corrupted. I assume it has something to do with how the OS can figure out file types without the use of an extension.
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student
  • Gray539

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bubs, you must have missed my e-mail. I received the bad pic but I need a good pic from the same source that created the other one so I can get a good header. It's important that it be from the same source that made the original.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you get the pics fixed? I would like one. One from the external HD and one from the CD.
  • bubs
  • bubs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Of course Devilwood. Send me your email address, and Gray i will send you a new pic also
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student
  • Gray539

Post 3+ Months Ago

The bad pic you sent me bubs has no header at all. It's also twice the size of the good pic. If it just had a corrupted header it can be rebuilt from a good header from the same source with the hex editor, but this one is more than I can repair. If all else fails try one of the online repair services and see if they can retrieve it. Are there different pics on the HD and CD? Which one did you send me?
  • bubs
  • bubs

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sent you a pic from off my HD but the was dragged from the CD. Is there a tutorial on how to use the hex editor or something. Oh i have tried most programs jpg repair and all sorts and no of them work. Oh well. Thank you very much for trying tho.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry bubs,

I get a recepient not found error when I try to PM you. My email should be available anyway so I don't see any problems with putting it here. azuldemogogu@gmail.com

I'll have to check with the administrator why the PM isn't working.
I did a search and found you easily and used the select button to fill in the recepient, but no go when i hit submit.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before a hex editor would be of any use whatsoever, you'ld want to know at least a little bit about the JPEG file format. The syntax and structure section of Wikipedias JPEG entry is a place to start.

Another useful entry is the structure and format section of the JFIF entry, which will have some usefull information about the header.
  • bobdav_99
  • Born
  • Born
  • bobdav_99

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
I am new here and I am having the same problem with some images (599 of them) taken at my sons wedding and I am desperate to retrieve them. When I took the pics I was able to view them on my camera. I went to a Kodak store in Cyprus to see if they would drop them down to CD for me so I could would have a free disk for the wedding day. They had no end of bother trying to do this and eventually gave me my card back and told me they had problems with their computer. I found a little back street Internet Cafe and they copied the entire card to CDs - lots of CDs - for me. I took the CD's back to the hotel and was unable to view the 599 images although the first 400 on the card and the last 3 are completely perfect. I had not emptied the card so bought another and a photographer friend tried to recover the images from the disk. He was only able to get the images which were OK and the 599 which couldn't generate a preview were still inaccessible to me. Can anyone help. I am happy to send on of the images to let you see. My camera is the new Canon EOS 550D and is an 18 megapixel camera. At one point I have the camera set to RAW and JPEG I think and then changed it to take JPG only - could that have caused the problem? Whew - this reads like War and Peace - sorry. Really hope someone can help. We can't really relive the holiday and I would be devastated if I couldn't get the pics back - yours hopefully ..............
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

bobdav_99, what sort of programs have you tried to open the photos with? After reading that you switched formats on your camera I have a feeling the computers you're using just haven't had any software to deal with your camera's format.

Did your camera come with any software? I would think if it did, that software would include something that can read all of the images your camera can produce.

The first thing I would try if I had one of your photos is to see if irfanview (free, been around longer than I've been a member here) is able to read it. Irfanview can read pretty much every image format I've ever heard of (and then some) and it also includes some nice batch programs for converting files to a format (jpeg perhaps in your case) you're less likely to have issues with.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts