Using stock photos

• madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a quik question..
Is using stock photos for clients a good idea for web design companies?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on the photos and what you do with it.

If I'm using a stock photo, I always try to make it look different from the original as much as possible where it can be done.

I've used stock photography many times with some clients, and for my own sites. Sometimes, even if there is stock photography available - but it's been used so much in the industry already - I'll just grab the D100 and take the shots myself if I have access to the appropriate subjects.

But sure, go ahead and use the stock photos, but try not to use them in the exact state you got them in. Maybe apply some filters, or crop them to give a different effect, etc. But try to use original images where you can.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with axe, although the stock photos I use are pretty rare, and I don't see them anywhere.

It is always a good idea to modify them in some form or fashion. The more I use PS the more I get good at doing that...You can make a photo have some stunning subtle effects when incorparated into an image.

Unfortunatly for right now all I can use are stock photos....but I wish I had a high quality camera
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get you guys mean. Use it but try to mod it.
thanks guys. Juz wondering abt stock photos.. coz I was thinking of doing a electronics shop website for a client. simple one.

should I tell him that I am using stock photos?
That may devalue what I am doing for him....
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

oww...hmmm that is a good question. I guess the ethical thing would be to tell him...
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Normally a client will supply photographs for you to use on a website if he wishes you to include certain products. If the client does not supply the photos, then unless he pays you specifically for a photo shoot for the products, stock photography is your only other option, so go with it.

If he doesn't like the fact that you're using stock images that are available to anybody on the web, he should pay extra to have you get custom photographs, or he should supply you with the photos. But using stock photos should not devalue your work.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys for the feedback.

in the case of an electronic shop
- there are photos online of thos electronic products.

Do you think that i cansimply grab them from online and use them for the website?
afterall they are from the manufacturer's website...

??
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, that depends. Many manufacturers will copyright their own photographs (they had to pay for studio time and the photographer).

Some will allow those images to be reused by retailers.

I would contact the manufacturers, let them know who you are, and ask for permission to use their images.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds like a mighty good idea.
I wil email them n see how it goes..
thanks axe!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts