viewing dpi

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

viewing dpi is a bit of a problem. i cant find any way to do it and my dad [who needs a 300dpi image to submit to something or the other]
and how mihgt one change dpi.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photoshop, menu bar; image, image size.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bear in mind that image dpi is related to image dimensions. You can see this if, in Photoshop, you turn the resample option off and change either the dpi or dimensions.

So a 10cm tall image at 150dpi also gives a 5cm image at 300dpi.

dpi simply determines how big an image's pixels are when output. Of course, this doesn't apply to web images as they are viewed pixel for pixel normally anyway.

You may know all this, but thought I'd outline those points as some get confused over image resolution.
  • puKKa
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's important when making pictures to always make them depending on what you are going to use them for.
For the web, use 72dpi, when your going to print it, use 300dpi so that you don't get any quality loss and this is when you make the image, ifyou change afterwards it dosnt mean a thing.

I have started to try to make all my pics in 300dpi even if it's memory and cpu consuming. This results with the image most often being better since the level of detail can be changed more exactly and you can make really small changes that are really hard to do with a low resolution pic. And if you want to resize it later, then just resize it since it so big that you probably will only have to make it smaller and that way you won't almost have any qualityloss even if some really small things might be lost.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

puKKa wrote:
For the web, use 72dpi, when your going to print it, use 300dpi

I always wonder why everybody seems to think resolution is important for web images. It's immaterial. Actual pixel dimensions rule.

Of course, if you're scanning images you may only need to use 72dpi for input resolution, but whatever resolution you end up with won't make any difference to how it's displayed in the browser.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts