want to make logos

• couragous
  • couragous

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am very good in art and want to make money from my hobby ,so I thought of making logos ,but I need to be guided in the right direction.I am good at free hand drawing .I need guidance to help make logos to sell
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have experience with vector drawing?
  • couragous
  • couragous

Post 3+ Months Ago

very little knowledge in illustrator ,but I use jasc paint shop pro I know its not vector but can it work .Can you give me pointers how to make logos or sites with toturials .I am really tight on my and currently unemployed ,so I thoight use some god given skills.thanks
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll need to use a vector application - here's a free one:

http://www.inkscape.org/

I suggest experimenting with it and looking round that site.
  • couragous
  • couragous

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have illustrator,I also have that program .can you give me pointers for logos
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've found this book very good.
  • couragous
  • couragous

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ,it looks like a great book,but for now I am kind of tight on money ,so I am simply just looking guidance but thanks a lot :)
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

do a search on google you will find tons of resources.
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never really understand what people mean when they ask for help or tutorials on making logos. If you can draw and you have the right applications what else is there you need to know? We'll I know there's other stuff but the rules are really just personal preference. Help making logos? Might as well say I need help drawing a picture. What who knows where to start? Hmmmm, start here:
http://www.ozzu.com/sutra227307.html
http://www.ozzu.com/sutra300815.html
http://www.ozzu.com/sutra319163.html
  • couragous
  • couragous

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I am good at drawing but more complicated drawing ,I am not used to simple drawings .Plus i kind want to know what colors to use to make a logo catchy and what colors work insync
here is some of my art:
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/graphic_design/
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're asking the wrong people.

I don't mean that anyone who has answered this therad doesn't know anything, what I mean is that you need to ask whoever it is you will be making the logo for to give you pointers.

The thing is, people are going to want to see references of what you've done, they have an idea of what it should look like in their head, it's much easier for them to simply look at somthing you've done before & see if your style reminds them of what's in their head.

That's one thing that trips up alot of wannabe artists, they crash on the thought of not having a portfolio to refer to.

There's a solution.

Make up a fictional company in your head.
I'll use "Mikey Mikarudens Moon Cheese" for example.

Why ?
Because Mikey Mikaruden is a bit of a character with a relatively silly name, I like funny characters, if I liked scarry characters I'd come up with a scarry name, I don't want to get asked to come up with scarry characters, so sticking with what I like will also make things easier for me down the road.

Moon Cheese ? Well, it's also silly.

When you say it three times fast, it starts to come out as "Mikey Mikarudens Moonchies"

What are Moonchies ? Well, they're snacks that you get from a store that's not the closest to where you are because it's 2AM & nothing else is open.

So, Mikey Mikarudens Moon Cheese has turned into a store that's open 24 hours a day & has stuff that likely caters to stoners & the occasional midnight tampon shopper.

Well, this is supposed to be a funny company so tampons are deffinately out of the picture, you never get to see the women laughing about sending a guy to get tampons at midnight, so it's only natural that they should not be in the logo.

I need a list with 3 basic elements, the logo needs to be basic & 3 is a funny number.

1) Moon
2) Cheese
3) 24 hours
4) Mikey
5) Mikaruden

Mikaruden has potential, but it's such a long word.
Mikey, well it worked for Life cereal, but I think people could confuse the Mikeys & the makers of Life cereal might try to sue me for defamation of their Mikey character if anyone, ahem, ever catches on to the whole stoner catering service.
I hear someone asking "Wouldn't the cops shut down such a place ?" No, why do you think they hang out at doughnut places ? They know nothing else is open at such an hour, they don't like to work, they'd rather have the mouse come to them.

Ok, now, we're left with "24" "moon" & "cheese".

A big 24 carved out of a moon ? Hmmm, it's deffinately cheesy, make it a moon made of cheese & it sounds like a plan.

Hmmm, what font to use for the 24 ?
"A.C.M.E. Secret Agent" sounds good, anyone who's ever been on one of theese trips knows it's like being in a 007 movie trying to get to the store & back without getting pulled over.

Now for the cheese, what kind of cheese to use ?
Well, yellow is a funny color & I've seen yellow cheese on my nachos so yellow cheese it is.

How to make the cheese look like the moon AND cheese though ?

Aha ! It can be a big circle block of cheese with a telltale slice out of the corner that has craters like the moon on it.
Then again, I could use swiss cheese, & make the holes look like the 24.

No, better go with the yellow cheese, nachos, moonchies.

Ok, we are now at this.
Attachments:
moonchies.png

Now that I look at it, it's the cheeziest thing I've ever seen.

The missing wedge is at the midnight-2AM place.
With the Big O, it kinda looks like a giant 024, that ought to look good in a rear-view mirror.
Hell, the crater marks even look like burnt cheezy poofs.

I tell you, if there's anyone driving at 12-2am looking for a store & they pass this logo up, they must be smoking crack.

There you have it, the process of comming up with a logo that's a contender for Cheeziest Of All Time for example sake.

Now I think I'll grab my Coat & skidaddle. :D
Moderator Remark: attached image
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

couragous wrote:
well I am good at drawing but more complicated drawing ,I am not used to simple drawings .Plus i kind want to know what colors to use to make a logo catchy and what colors work insync
here is some of my art:
http://www.angelfire.com/planet/graphic_design/

Red, red is the #1 color for triggering memory. Followed up by the very popular blue, and green. Bright colors work well because they stand out better, so yellow and orange can work well also. Basically all the colors in the old Apple logo and the MSN butterfly, and now you know why such colors were used. That along with Joeberts guide and advice should be able to get you started.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

/me tips imaginary hat.

Joebert, that was awesome. =]

.g
  • couragous
  • couragous

Post 3+ Months Ago

whay size should normally be ?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

couragous wrote:

It should be recognizable as the same logo no matter what size it is.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The other thing is rely on the client. Often times they can describe "what" they want. If perchance you can understand what they are describing and you are good at drawing you can get it reasonably close to their idea. Then all you should have to do is tweak it.

btw Joe that really was good.
  • pballman
  • pballman
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

photoshop is the best program ever for creating any graphics
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

pballman wrote:
photoshop is the best program ever for creating any graphics

no it isn't

why do you think adobe created illustrator if photoshop was the best at everything?
  • pballman
  • pballman
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

to each his own
  • picker58
  • Born
  • Born
  • picker58
  • Loc: Naples, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

To Couragous newbie;
In my business I design dozens of new logos each month. There is no formula but there is a direction, depending on how the logo will be used. For example, I can design more detail in a logo for print than I can for a logo for screenprint and embroidery. If you're that interested, my advise would be to call on the screenprinters in your area. It's my experience that they're usually looking for a good freehand artist, if you're creative. It'll give you the chance to be in the design process, see what won't or will work, see that most customers have NO idea how to start, see if you're actually creative. Graphic design for business means having to produce whether you're in the mood or not. If you're creative and get along well w/ strangers it'll seem easy to you.
Good Luck
  • razvans
  • Born
  • Born
  • razvans

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you want to sell your logos then try to advertise on forums. do you have a portofolio?
thanks
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

This resource may prove helpful to you...

Before & After Magazine
  • bebsie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bebsie
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

i've visited this http://www.angelfire.com/planet/graphic_design/ and the background was cool. i was just wondering which of those were the once you fixed after being burned by fire.
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

well done joebert, you really show him how to fish. now he needs practice.
  • pizzaman
  • pizzaman

Post 3+ Months Ago

type face is very important
no shadows
two or three color max
must be good in black and white
if you want to look at very nice work
/typophile is the place
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

couragous wrote:

The reason that the logo should be designed in vector is so its scalable. As far as colors and things like that, I would suggest you look at logos that are currently being used. Since your short on cash go to a local bookstore and sit and thumb through a LogoLounge. If your interested in some good concepting behind logo creation check out info on Paul Rand.

Link

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts