website professionalism

• Grant
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey

ive made a few websites in my time (by html and php) but i want to have one that looks more profesional. At the moment all my banners etc. are just things i made in paint.

so if you could give me some tips and hints on how to make my website look more professional they would be greatly appriciated.
(Note: my websites arent on the interenet so i cant show you wat they look like)

Thanks grant
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Grant
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

o yeh i forgot to say i DONT want to use templates
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your question sounds to me like you are asking for tips on how to improve the quality of graphics on your site and not necessarily the coding of it, per se. If this is the case, let us know and we'll move this to our digital art board where you may get more appropriate suggestions.
  • Grant
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeh thats wat i mean
thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I moved the post then. You should start then, by getting a better graphics design program within your price range. Can't do much without a good graphics proggie. Once you get one, play with it night and day until you get the hang of it, and then just start creating things, until you like what you create. Read tutes on the proggie and ask questions about its capabilities and how to do things you don't understand.
  • Grant
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks yeh i have adobe photo shop on the family computer and i sorta know how to use it i think the main problem is just ideas. also what is proggie???
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grant wrote:
ok thanks yeh i have adobe photo shop on the family computer and i sorta know how to use it i think the main problem is just ideas. also what is proggie???

proggie is slang for program.

Ideas come with experimenting. And you can't just "sorta know how to use it" if you want to get good with it. And just so you know, there's a difference between the $500 full version of Adobe Photoshop, and the Photoshop Album SE that is available on some family computers. Make sure you have the real deal. The Photoshop Album SE will help you fix and catalog images, but that's not the design program.
  • Grant
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

o crud bucket i have a feeling we have the "non-real" one. umm we also have umm photo impression. would that be any good?
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
Graphics... I use Photoshop CS It's not one of them programs where your just going to set down and start using, it does take time but this would be my best advice to you.

Hope this helps
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

For Grant's benefit, Photoshop CS2 is a current version of the "real deal". If you really have a serious intent to study and get good with graphics, images, layouts and the like, then take the time to talk to your parents about it, and if it is within their budget, ask for it as a Christmas present or something. They can view details on the program at http://www.adobe.com and you are able to download a fully functional 30 day trial version of the program from the website. If you download the trial, then I would suggest that you spend the next 30 days of your life living and breathing Photoshop, so you can show your parents positive results and give them positive cause for considering a full purchase of the program.
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that program runs around $1,199.00, great program but I will never master it, so much to it, I have been using it for over 3yr and I still have only touched the suffice.

And yea talking about living and breathing photoshop, thats a must if you want to get to a point where you can start making the images you have been dreaming of making.

Thanks Supper for explaining more about this program, but I feel that it would take allot of work for someone not having someone there with you that knows the program to give you some sort of start, I was lucky to have had some good friends to help.

PEACE
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry,,,,,, its super
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The program is $599 dollars on Adobe's web store

(no clue where you came up with that dollar amount.)

It's $549 dollars at amazon.com
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium
Adobe® Creative Suite 2 Premium software is a unified design environment that combines full new versions of Adobe Photoshop® CS2, Illustrator® CS2, InDesign® CS2, GoLive® CS2, and Acrobat® 7.0 Professional software with new Version Cue® CS2, Adobe Bridge, and Adobe Stock Photos.

$1,199.00

Adobe store
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a bad price for what you get
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's for the suite. All he needs is CS for what he's asking for. And yes, if you go for the Suite, you get some serious bang for the buc.
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats what I thought, I figure if you have the cash there would be no reason not to go for a deal like that, I paid around 1,000 for CS when it come out, and I cant wait to get this one.... just a few more jobs
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Studio MX all the way - what a superb package. Fireworks, Flash and Dreamweaver in one box!

And to the original poster, of you, or any of your sibblings are in school k-12 or college, you can get the whole package for around $200 at http://www.academicsuperstore.com

That was the only way I could afford professional software. Bought 90% of my software my freshman year of college.
  • vortex
  • Student
  • Student
  • vortex

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did I miss something????

I thought we were talking about graphics and Photoshop CS
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, Grant, back to your original question. As long as you have some sort of imaging software you can create a professional looking website. The professional feel of your website is based on the layout and the type of graphics you are producing. Software is not concerned in this issue. You could easily produce a crappy looking site with the most expensive software and vise versa. A lot of time people confuse quanity with quality. It's like make-up, remember, "Sometimes less is more." Your logo along with one or two graphic images, stregically placed can go a long way. Site colors and fonts can make a big difference as well. Your best bet is trial and error, like I do. The newest version of my site, 10.0, will be up soon. Although my site will probrably not fall into the corporate image catagory you are aspiring for but I think it will serve as a good example of a professional layout.
  • crystalized
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love Adobe programs (I use Photoshop, Indesign, Premiere, and Sound Editor), so I would definitely recommend Photoshop as the primary graphics program. It'll do almost anything you want it to, in terms of creating professional graphics.
As was mentioned earlier, it's not just about knowing what each button does, but about how to use those buttons.

And don't be fooled by all the praise for Photoshop. You can make a professional site even without a whole lot of image-editting. All you need is a nice, simple image, matching CSS, and a clean layout. For nice images, I recommend stock photography from http://sxc.hu. You can just take one of those, crop it to the size you want, work a layout around it, and it'll probably look really good.

CSS is definitely key though, in my opinion, especially if you have few graphics.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts