Weird night fog over town in Washington State

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I literally took this picture about ten minutes ago. There is a really thin fog over the city below (well cities really: Sumner, WA - Tacoma, WA - Puyallup, WA - Auburn, WA) so the lights are still shining through, but its giving it a myserious and interesting look because of all the different colors that seem to come through. I did not edit this photo, I only resized it. This is exactly what it looks like outside right now.

Shutter Speed: 30 seconds
Aperture: F/9
Focal Length: 18mm
ISO Speed: 800

Shutter Speed: 30 seconds
Aperture: F/9
Focal Length: 18mm
ISO Speed: 800

Unfortunately I had to increase the ISO speed some because the longest shutter time my camera can do is 30 seconds. Normally I like to take shots at ISO 100, but in the dark sometimes it just can't happen so I have to compensate some. I took many other similiar shots as well, I might post some more if anybody wants to see.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, kinda like aurora borealis.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, that is pretty amazing! Good pictures there BWM! :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

katana wrote:
Wow, kinda like aurora borealis.

That was exactly the first thought I had. Nice shots Bigweb!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, ISO800 and it's still this dark after 30 seconds?

Which camera did you get? 10D? 20D? Doesn't it have a remote shutter cable that will allow exposures longer than 30 seconds?

Does that body have any in-camera noise reduction for long exposures? Have you done anything in Photoshop or other applications (Noise Ninja, NeatImage, etc) to reduce the noise level of the higher ISO?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, there was not much light to work with, so even after 30 seconds on ISO 800 it was this dark.

Canon EOS 20D is what I used, and I believe it has in-camera noise reduction of some sorts, but I am sure you could look up reviews on the camera to be sure. I did not edit the photos above, other than resizing it down.

I have no idea if it has a remote shutter cable to allow exposures longer than 30 seconds, if it does I would love to know more, as I might be interested in obtaining that.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure about the Canons, but with the Nikons, they have a setting beyond 30 seconds called "Bulb" (you can reach this in manual mode)...

Basically, in this setting, you use either a screw-in mechanical shutter release cable, or a digital remote (like Nikon's MC-20 - or the D70's infra-red shutter release) which allows long (LONG) exposures. The MC-20 remore allows up to 99 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds unattended.

I'm sure Canon has some way of doing this.

You should do a little post-processing to help increase the contrast a bit. If you're shooting RAW, you'll easily be able to pull a lot of detail out of those shadows. Also possibly increase the saturation a tad to really make those colours pop.

Great shots Bigweb :)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes after 30 seconds it does say bulb, so it sounds like I may be able to use a screw in mechanical shutter release cable or a digital remote. I will look into that thanks!

As far as editing the pictures, I was happy with the above results so I did not do anything to them. That is exactly what it looked like outside last night.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, amazing shots BWM! I'd like to see more if you have them.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! Very nice.

I agree with Axe; a little more contrast via the curves box would really bring out those colours.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just wanted to give an update on my photo. I submitted it to one of the major news channels of the Seattle area here and they made a story out of my picture! Here is the link:

http://www.komotv.com/stories/40658.htm

Also labrego I will try to put a few of the other shots that I took on here soon.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks BW :thumbsup:

EDIT: Oh, and of course you're an astute photographer! *lol with a lot of luck too

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts