What is the best program to export a transparent gif/png?

• jblow
  • Student
  • Student
  • jblow

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've always used photoshop for all tasks and fileformats... until it gave me a very bad result with a transparent gif. It also gave a bad result for the same image in png8. I then opened the .psd using Fireworks and it exported an absolutely beautiful transparent png8. (comparable to png24) What programs gives you the best results when dealing with transparent gif/png's?
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've always used Photoshop, and on occassions PS Elements and ImageReady. So far, I haven't experienced any problems with exporting transparent images with any of the Adobe software.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always use Photoshop and get great results.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps you just don't know how to get Photoshop to save to the best of its abilities to achieve the result you desire? (as opposed to it being incapable of what you want it to do).

If they're animated, I use ImageReady.
  • jblow
  • Student
  • Student
  • jblow

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Please don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps you just don't know how to get Photoshop to save to the best of its abilities to achieve the result you desire? (as opposed to it being incapable of what you want it to do).

Maybe there is something I'm missing, but I always play with the options in the 'Save for Web' dialog. (with the exception of using matte).

Here i've attached a test transparent image, my results using fireworks and photoshop, and how they preview in a non IE browser.
http://s5.ultrashare.net/hosting/fs/2bb57d6f8d76ca81/
Please modify and submit your results if better.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can get it to export as a PNG24, but as a PNG8 it won't - it may be a limitation of the version of Photoshop I'm using.

For some reason Photoshop won't even load your PNG8 properly (although FF displays it).

To be honest though, I don't have much experience using PNG format (I rarely need full 8 bit transparency).

Just to clarify for those who don't know. When you're using PNG8 and PNG24 with alpha transparency, you have to add another 8 bits (256 levels of transparency per pixel).

So a PNG24 becomes a 32Bit image, and PNG8 becomes a 16Bit image.

Perhaps Fireworks adds an 8Bit transparency layer to PNG8 images, and Photoshop CS doesn't/can't (which is why it wouldn't even show the alpha transparency in the 8Bit image). I don't know whether Photoshop CS2 supports this though.

I would imagine adding an 8Bit transparency layer to an 8Bit image is technically non-standard, but I may be wrong.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts