What is the difference between Illustrator and Photoshop

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been reading around people using illustrator for image work and i have all ways used Photoshop tho, i was just wondering what are the different advantages between using Photoshop or illustrator.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

It really depends on the type of images you want to do. Illustrator is a vector program which means the image you create can be easily enlarged or reduced without compramising on the quality so its the best choice for logos. Its also good for marketing layouts (but then so is InDesign for that too). Photoshop creates raster images which you can't enlarge without editing the content or pixelating the image.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
It really depends on the type of images you want to do. Illustrator is a vector program which means the image you create can be easily enlarged or reduced without compramising on the quality so its the best choice for logos. Its also good for marketing layouts (but then so is InDesign for that too). Photoshop creates raster images which you can't enlarge without editing the content or pixelating the image.

mmmm i should start using illustrator for smaller stuff then, i am just PS all the way

ty for the reply
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

It really just depends on what the graphic is going to be used for as to which one is better suited they are both very different.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
It really just depends on what the graphic is going to be used for as to which one is better suited they are both very different.

I'll second that.

If you're using it for basic website graphics or avatars/signatures or something then i'd just use Photoshop.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
musik wrote:

I'll second that.

If you're using it for basic website graphics or avatars/signatures or something then i'd just use Photoshop.

cheers for the notes, just looking for a better understanding what software is for what but i think i just keep making love to photoshop. :P
  • Gooseman
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gooseman

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're just a beginner, Photoshop is the best choice.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gooseman wrote:
If you're just a beginner, Photoshop is the best choice.

I differ with this opinion. Define beginner. You can't just say this globally and expect it to work for everyone that needs advice here.

I use both programs. In an earlier post Musik pretty much spelled it out -- "It really just depends on what the graphic is going to be used for as to which one is better suited they are both very different."

A she noted, Illustrator is Vector based, whereas Photoshop is mostly rastor based.

What's the difference? If you need to enhance a photo or image, use Photoshop. Generically speaking you will not be able to enlarge that image beyond it's initial image qualities without significant loss of quality, whereas vector images created in Illustrator can be re-sized without loss of resolution.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

We miss you Mark, you definitely call it out like it is :)

I tend to use Adobe Illustrator for logos and icons, as you will find that down the road you may need those in larger resolutions so it works out great to have them in a vector format.

Photoshop I use too, but usually for quick changes to non-vector images, or actual photos that need to be touched up. Sometimes I use both, probably because my skill level with Illustrator could still use more work. Sometimes I will create what I want in Illustrator, but for the final touches I will rasterize the image then load it up in Photoshop to make some last touch up edits or changes I am not sure quite how to duplicate in Illustrator. Always getting better at using that program though :)
  • Jeen
  • Born
  • Born
  • Jeen

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to edit photos or paint a freehand style illustration, Photoshop is a better choice.
  • rd1
  • rd1

Post 78 days ago

Photoshop is mainly for photo manipulation but you can also do some drawing on it but it is not as good as Illustrator. Illustrator is a vector based program which allows you to draw vector items.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts