Whats this font?

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wondering if anyone knows what font this is. I made this a long time ago and my comp crashed so I lost all fonts and the psd to go with it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mean the top line?

The closest I know is OnyxBT (Bitstream). It's more rounded, but is similar.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Spoof - bookmark this page: http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Submit your image there. It should be able to tell you exactly what fonts are used in the image.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Brilliant link ATNO, how accurate can a website like that be? It must have some large database to rummage through just to get a close assumption of what the font in the image is.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Spoof - bookmark this page: http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Submit your image there. It should be able to tell you exactly what fonts are used in the image.

That didnt work the first time i tried it but then i thought about it and the whole images is a complex image so took the image and cut out just the text and it worked wonderful. Thank you ATNO
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep - I've had to do exactly the same in the past. It's a great resource for sure.

SB - I'm not certain, but I think the way it works is the "code" for lack of a better word that identifies the font is somehow embeded in the image. I suspect what they do is have some means to identify the embeded image font and then match it up to their database. Like I said that's pretty much a guess, but it makes sense.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
SB - I'm not certain, but I think the way it works is the "code" for lack of a better word that identifies the font is somehow embeded in the image. I suspect what they do is have some means to identify the embeded image font and then match it up to their database. Like I said that's pretty much a guess, but it makes sense.

I'd imagine not - gifs and jpegs won't have any information as to what fonts were used embedded in them. The notes mention optimal character height, so it must be based on the shapes it reads. Very clever if it works - I'll have to try it soon.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It definitely works, however they do it. I've been using it for a couple years now, and so far it's never missed.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still have to wonder about my theory though. Take this article for example:
http://www.fontsite.com/Pages/Features/T1vsTTa.html

Quote:
Technical Differences

The first difference between TrueType and PostScript fonts is their use of different sorts of mathematics to describe their curves. Conversions between the two formats are typically imperfect: although mathematically speaking the quadratic B-splines of TrueType are a subset of the cubic Bézier curves of PostScript, there are usually small rounding errors no matter which direction one converts fonts; however, the errors are greater in going from PostScript to TrueType than vice versa. More importantly, hinting information does not directly translate in either direction between the two formats.

Some how the "mathematical" information that tells the computer how to display the font has to be included in the image. I'm just thinking hypothetically, but how else can you explain it? A computer isn't going to "see" the graphic. They are going to see the code.

So in other words we see this
http://www.fontsite.com/Media/T1vsTT/Head.gif

The computer sees this
http://www.boastingrights.com/ozzu/image.html

So it has me curious, what this site is doing to interpret the code in the image.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Should be easy enough to test. Pick two fonts you know it recognises. Set one at a good, decent size. Set one at only about 3 or 4 pixels high (not enough to visually render the faces characteristics). See if it picks them both up.

The B-splines and Bézier curves you mention are all used in creating/rendering the font at the artwork stage. By the time you've exported it as a jpeg or gif, all that information is useless - it's just a grid of pixels. That's why print artwork for logos should be vector format and not pixel format.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts