When I make a site in photoshop... (size question)

• Taylor Hewitt
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

How big should I make it width-wise. Like what would it look like on different dimensions? I have no clue...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

i usually shoot for 700-800 pixels wide...
that way it can fit on everyone's screen comfortably... you could go up to 1000, probably without much of a problem and, if you don't mind, smaller's cool, if it fits your purpose...

yeah yeah...
  • rajputkashyap
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use 780px wide, leaving 20px for right vertical scrolling bar, so in 800x600 there isnt horizonal scrollbar coming and as with 1024 res. it is dispalyed in centre..

Kashyap
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I go for 950-980 since I don't make sites for 800/600 resolution. I know I should make them for this too, but I just go for 1024/768 :D
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my experience and to be sure you're accomodating the 800 x 600 folks, your layout should be, at most, 780px wide. This assumes the browser is maximized in an 800 x 600 display. Depending on the situation, I'd say 750 to 780 pixels is a good rule of thumb.
  • davenewt
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Re-sizing my FF window to 800x600, opening in photoshop and selecting the size of the display region gives me approx 770px width, give or take a couple of pixels. The vertical scrollbar is outside this region.

Can't go far wrong.

Height-wise, with menu bar, button bar, address bar and tabs showing in FF, the vertical height of the display region is a mere 412 pixels. So make sure you don't have huge header graphics and other miscellaneous stuff above the important info/links.

I say this because it's surprising how many people I've come across who don't intuitively scroll down a web page as soon as it loads - if they don't see something they're looking for, it takes a while before they think to do this - if they think to do it at all :shock: :)

Cheers,
Dave 8)
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like small tight sites that way your eyes dont have to go everywhere, i start with a 550x600 and set my sites inside of 500. so i have 25 px on each side
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
In my experience and to be sure you're accomodating the 800 x 600 folks, your layout should be, at most, 780px wide. This assumes the browser is maximized in an 800 x 600 display. Depending on the situation, I'd say 750 to 780 pixels is a good rule of thumb.

this is a good rule of thumb. I set mine to 760px wide, and whatever you need to accommodate your boxes and stuff for height.
  • icestone

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use like the most of us 780x600 or 800x600. but i try for months to find a solution to make the design not only compatible for 800x600 or 1024x... i want that the design automaticly passed on each solution, but up to day i have no really nice solution ;).
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

its really just up to you and what you think is a comfortable size for the type of site you are designing.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

rajputkashyap wrote:
I use 780px wide, leaving 20px for right vertical scrolling bar, so in 800x600 there isnt horizonal scrollbar coming and as with 1024 res. it is dispalyed in centre..

Kashyap
i do too. too often i make it at 800 and leave room on the edge to be cut off but then i forget to cut it and i have to go back and replice it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts