Where do I start?

• drburrows
  • Born
  • Born
  • drburrows

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am of the "old school" when it comes to drawing and illustration and I am trying to understand how digital artists develop their artwork. If someone could point me to an example (tutorial, video, book, etc.) of how someone takes an idea from paper and develops it as digital art I would really appreciate it. I also need to understand what the "standard" software toolset is that most are using so I can take the required courses and get familiar with them. I graduated in Industrial Design MANY YEARS AGO and was side-tracked in my career and I would like to get back to it. The problem is things have changed so dramatically I do not know where to start. Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Dave
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not a graphic designer, but I've seen many people using a pad developed by a company called WACOM which is suppose to be real nice for drawing digitally. I believe it's just wacom.com. I can't really give an opinion on graphic editors like photoshop or fireworks because I just do the basic stuff and either work fine for me. You'll just have to pick one you're comfortable with. There are some very good graphic people that work the site here at ozzu so they will be able to help you more with a good tutorial site, etc once they get time to reply. I'm sure most will probably say use Photoshop as far as editors go. Fireworks was an editor by macromedia who is now owned by Adobe so I don't know if you can still get fireworks or support. Hope this gets you started.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are talking for print and vector design (for example logos), I'm certain most will tell you Adobe Illustrator is the software of choice.

For web you might find anything from In Design to Photoshop or other similar. For 3D you will hear a lot recommend Maya, Bryce
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

When a person says "digital art" I usually take that to mean something separate from design (graphic, web, advertising). Are you looking for information about Image Making (Digital Illustration, Matte Painting, etc)? Those typically fall under the art category as opposed to the visual communication category for me.
  • Gray539
  • Student
  • Student
  • Gray539

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're old school Dave you should be able to transfer to digital with little effort. I work more like old school but in digital myself. You can use the same skill set you're familiar with. I'd suggest starting with some of the free paint programs and 3D software to give you an idea of what you want and need before spending. There are also some good sites to help you out. There's lots of tuts on the web depending on which software you wish to use. If you're interested in suggestions on software and where to get started just PM me and I'll be more specific. I thnk the main thing is to dive in and get your feet wet in the digital world.
  • drburrows
  • Born
  • Born
  • drburrows

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you everyone. When I talk about digital art I mean any art/design that is composed or derived mostly within a software tool. I believe software tools are now quite commonly used in Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Architectural/Landscape Design, Illustration, etc.

I am astonished at the digital art/design work that is being done today - particularly in the areas of Graphic Design and Illustration. I know that way-back-when that there was a worry that the use of software in art and design would stifle creativity. Thankfully I have seem quite the opposite.

I know that these days that anything that I do in the field of art and design I will need to use some sort of software tool either in its development or production. I read a real neat book called "Concept Design: Works From Seven Los Angeles Entertainment Designers". In this book seven different artists explain briefly how they did some sample digital artwork pieces. For example most began their design or illustration on paper and then transferred (scanned) the image into an electronic file. They then imported this file into a selected software tool where they refined it and enhanced it to the point where it was the finished piece. Their work was amazing. I am hoping that I will be able to understand the methods, tools and techniques that are commonly used today so that I too can produce this kind of digital art.

Again I appreciate all that have replied. If anyone can refer me to any instructional video that you think would help me learn any of these new techniques I would appreciate it. In the meantime I will do as suggested and just "jump in". I have an older version of PhotoShop (ver. 6) and have been experimenting with it. It is a bit daunting but it is something that I have wanted to do for many years.

Thank you for your time and all of your help.

Dave
  • kreeze
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kreeze

Post 3+ Months Ago

from what ive seen, photoshop would be a nice programme for you to start on, its the most straight forward in my mind and has many capabilities. you would do well to grab a decent quality drawing tablet ( cnat relay recomend one sorry) maybe if your looking to do a little more with your art than just draw and paint digitaly get illustrator to create complex vectors as it is much more suited to be a drawing tool than photoshop.

i belive there a thread with some photoshop and illustrator tutorials in so you could check that out...

hope i was help :D
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Youtube seems to be a great resource.
  • sureideas
  • Born
  • Born
  • sureideas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well i wanted to answer your question but I found you already have enough answers there. One thing for sure is we must find some ways to get modern. We must change according to the times. Your step in the direction must be acknowledged.. keep it up
  • ariyes_dp
  • ariyes_dp

Post 3+ Months Ago

you must search more tutorial related to adobe softwares like photoshop or illustrator coral etc on google... it wd be of great help to you
  • Belk Media Group
  • Graphic Monk
  • Professor
  • Loc: In the heart of California, Fresno.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where are you at? I have found that while Photoshop is the standard software in the US, Corel is the standard everywhere else. The world will catch up one day, I don't know what they are thinking.

Someone mentioned a Wacom Tablet. Yes, that would be a good buy, and it will greatly help you in your transition from traditional mediums to digital. I don't know what I would do without mine. I'm left handed but have grown accustomed to using my mouse with my right hand so, drawing with my mouse is out of the question.

To take your ideas from the paper to digital? Scan or use a digital camera to upload your images into your computer. From there, it's just a matter of time. Practice makes perfect and classes never hurt.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts