Which GIMP effect is this?

• GhostScript
  • GhostScript

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
I made a button image a few weeks ago, and I need to make another, but I can't figure out which GIMP effect I used. Before and after images are attached. The change was only made to the white text, not the background, and I am fairly sure it was only one step, using most likely something on the menu for "Filters" -> "Alpha to Logo". Any help would be appreciated. I am using GIMP 2.6.2 for mac ppc.

Thanks =)

Attachments:
about-before.jpg

before

Attachments:
about-after.jpg
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Alpha to Logo" would be transparency (the alpha is basically the transparency of the object) and it appears that in the "after" you lowered the transparency of the text. I would say that would be the correct filter, it's just a matter of figuring out how much you reduced it by. It looks to be about 70% or so.
  • GhostScript
  • GhostScript

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I lowered the transparency. It is pretty close but still not exactly it. I am almost positive there was some color fade effect from top to bottom. Also the text seems a little bigger on the after pic. I think I may have used an effect that added a border.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a photoshop guy, so i don't think i could really help with the exact tools you were using. However if it was photoshop to get that effect i would have used the gradient tool and to create the border it would have been through the Layer "Blending Options" and using the "Stroke" tool.

I don't know if the names of these tools ring any bells for GIMP and could help you work out which tool did what.
  • GhostScript
  • GhostScript

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks SB, it was a matter of using a gradient, but I had to sort of do a work-around.

For some reason the built-in gradient effects in GIMP ( as least the ones I was trying ) mostly make the gradient lengthwise, for example this:

Attachments:
horiz.jpg

Even if you tilt it 90 degrees, it will still make the gradient lengthwise:

Attachments:
vert.jpg

So I resized the above to this:

Attachments:
resize.jpg

Then over the image above, I made a black layer and merged the white text above it. I then colored to alpha layer removing white, so that the text was the gradient gray. I then colored to alpha and removed the black so there was just the gradient gray text. When its placed back over the black bar it restores the black somewhat but still a little faded on the top:

Attachments:
final.jpg

It basically looks like the original. However I am still pretty sure it was done in one step in the original image.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a bad work around. I'm going to have to educate myself on Gimp more. If I happen to do that within next couple if days I'll see what I can do in the way of figuring out what you originally did.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts