Which image format to use?

• g0l`
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

make a image (res 800x600) smaller than 100k without making it look ugly? :?

I've tried png 8, think it's the best solution, it's ugly AND big :roll:
Also tried .gif, same problem. and how smaller I make size how uglier it gets.
jpg is just NO

so please tell me how?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on what the image is. If it's photographic, JPG is your best bet. If it's solid colors and/or som linear gradients, GIF.

//moved

Can you post a SMALL version of it? Are you using Photoshop?
  • g0l`
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm using fireworks at the moment to resize and save it.
I want to put this image as a bg on my site, so it has to be small, but I want to have a good quality.

http://www.alltimegaming.com/images/testing.gif
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

put the fireworks save file up

i have used fireworks for a long time now and i know a fair bit about the compression it uses for each file type.

also, why does it have to be under 100k.... thats pretty impossible if the image is a little complex
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay. You're going to have to understand this:

Compression is not magic. Your image is very large, so there is no way you're going to get it very small without losing information quality.

Remember that image formats can only describe as much data as is in their file size. If you want a file to have a size of 50 kilobytes, for instance, then your image will only have 50 kilobytes of information (and remember that at a 24-bit color depth, a single color takes _three_ bytes). The only way that images of large resolution can be compressed to small sizes without looking ugly is if the information in the image is filled with redundancies, such as blocks of one color or other repetition. A picture of the Earth does not contain such.

If you want a 100 kilobyte file, you will get an image with 100 kilobytes of data, or slightly less (because all compression formats are imperfect). Likewise, a seventy-kilobyte file will only contain seventy kilobytes of data. Because an image with dimensions 864x555 at 24-bit color depth would have a filesize of at least 1438560 bytes when uncompressed, you're expecting an image compression algorithm to compress efficiently and remove enough data so that you can describe the same image with only 5% of the bytes. And a photograph of the Earth just doesn't have any good redundancies, except for the void of space, so you're left with the option of destroying data. And if destroying information at such a ratio without losing image quality is theoretically possible, then one should consider visiting Ollivander's before putting that theory into practice.
  • g0l`
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the info Sam.

I tried the same in ps and now I have a way better image with less kb. This is the image I use now:

http://www.alltimegaming.com/images/theworld.jpg
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm yes that those look a lot better. I was going to add why jpg is a no? because I don't think an image like that would have looked good in png or gif because of all the many colors.

Looks good, but I think you could really do it up better if before you compressed it you cleaned up those edges around the sphere. A method you could use in ps to soften up those edges would be to select and feather
  • g0l`
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok I'll try that, thanks! the edges could be better indeed.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.web-design.seo-guy.com/web-d ... phics.html

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts