Actionscript & Java Chat

• Tdotwire
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Toronto

Post 3+ Months Ago

having a flash actionscript programmed flash chat program is ideal, however requires use of a socket client and server system such as flash communication server or electroserver.

However using a java written application, that is loaded on the server (does not have to be installed) and is loaded by the flash program, and its purpose is to simply regulate sockets.

Is that possible, or do you have to use one of the other socket systems, or anything related.

Also can flash programs rely on php sockets?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Java applets and Flash are two seperate plugins that don't communicate with eachother.

While Flash Communication Server would be the best option, you can also use PHP Sockets and XML Sockets.

I would recommend XML Sockets because Flash already has built in functionality for them using the XMLSocket() Object. But if you don't have XML Socket ability on your server, then PHP Sockets can be used.

How? I don't know, never done it before in my life.
  • Tdotwire
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

what does the flash communication server use? I know electroserver uses XML sockets, and php sockets are not as efficient. so which one should I go for

electroserver or flash com?
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe FLash Communication Server uses XML Sockets as well, thats why Flash ActionScript has XML socket support built in.

But Electroserver is free for what? Up to 20 concurrent users? Plus it already comes with a full featured Flash MX based chat.

If you're just looking for a Flash chat, go with the free electroserver.

For Flash Comm Server you are looking at spending $7500 USD. Even with Electroservers UNLIMITED users plan thats $2999 USD... which is still considerably less than Flash Comm Server.
  • Tdotwire
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wasn't aware that there was a price to both of those XML Socket systems. I guess that PHP Sockets are the only free choice then...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts