Adding an image to an existing Flash movie

• SOTY2004
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good day ozzu-ians,

I'm wondering if it's possible to add an image to a flash movie after the swf file is compiled.

An example:

We are working towards a Flash program that will allow the users to upload pictures to create a Panoramic view of whatever (lets say a bedroom). Once they upload this view, the pictures will stitch together and will create that look of 360 degrees. Once this 360 view is complete, they would like to upload a picture (lets say, a framed picture of a sad clown), and add it to the 360 view to see how it would look like in that part of the room.

Would this be possible? I'll be using the PaperVision3D libraries to attempt this. I've seen a few of the examples that are given with the framework that seem to fit our needs.

Thanks and cheers,

SOTY2004
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes it is possible. Basically you give your swf the path to images and then tell it to load in the content as its needed.

You'll want to look up the MovieClipLoader class (not sure what the equivalent is with AS3). There are lots of examples available like this XML Photo Gallery
  • SOTY2004
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome! I'll try this out when i get approval on the project.

Any other resources would be more than appreciated by other Flash gurus :D
  • SOTY2004
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forgot to add something to my OP:

Lets say the user decides to put a picture right where the 360 view is stitched (50% on one, and 50% on the other). Do i have to keep track of the coords on the individual uploaded picture on where it is on the background? (sorry if i'm confusing on my explanations, still need to work on that).
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you need to require specifics for the pictures. The way a pano typically works is that you snap a shot every x number of degrees around a circle. Say you rotate 10deg each time you would need 36 images to get a 360 view. You'll have loads of problems if allow some users to upload 15 shots and others to upload 45. I'd say force your users to be a bit smart and reject the stuff that won't work.
  • SOTY2004
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

The pano shots aren't what i'm somewhat worried about, it's the pictures they want to throw on top of the pano pane.

Going back to my example of a bedroom. The walls are bare for the sake of the example. They want to see how a mirror would look in a section of a room, so they upload a picture of a mirror, and place it wherever they think would look good. If they dont' like it, they can remove the added images. The pano shots will never change other than on initial upload of the room itself.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but i figure i needed to be more clear as I suck at explaning my problems (still something I need to work on)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh no that makes sense. In the example you gave I wouldn't worry about it unless you want to allow someone to save their "room" In which case you would need to keep track of locations and uploaded images per session.
  • SOTY2004
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right on! That's exactly what I'm talking about :D

They would most likely need to save that room (RoomA would have a picture of a framed portrait, RoomB would have a mirror). But I'm assuming i can do this easily saving into an XML file (where the uploaded photos would have specific coords on where it was displayed).

Thanks again!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts