Advanced Preloader

• FAMUAKA23
  • Born
  • Born
  • FAMUAKA23

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey everyone! I'm new here to this forum, but I was hoping that someone could help me out with a preloader that I'm working on. It's pretty advanced...it's one that fills up a space with an image, while synchronizing with the amount loaded (check out http://www.realitydreamship.com for an example). For the most part I am doing alright on it, but I am having a few problems getting it to work properly. If there is a daring soul who might be willing to help me out, I would really appreciate it. I can send the .fla file that I have been working on via e-mail. Hope to hear from someone soon!

Kelly
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

welcome to ozzu kelly :)

this question is not new, nor is it too tough TBH. I think we can
help you just fine here...

this tutorial is the basics for what you are trying to do, and it's
very customizable. Most preloaders are basically the same so
you shouldn't have too much trouble altering it for what you
need. If nothing else, you can use it as a reference against
your own work.

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/perc ... loader.htm
(it was written by my partner and fellow ozzu'er lostinbeta)

enjoy :D
  • FAMUAKA23
  • Born
  • Born
  • FAMUAKA23

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the help. I took a look at the tutorial and I've made some progress since my last post. I placed my preloader at the very beginning of Scene 1 and it worked fine....for the most part. I think it has something to do with the _root command in my scripting. Since the preloader is placed at the beginning of a movie that is inside of another movie, I am wondering if that is the problem. When I test the movie, it plays all the way through the main movie, but when it gets to the frame where my movie is located (with the preloader), it reads the _root command and plays the second frame for the mainmovie, instead of the second frame inside of the movie where the preloader is located. I tried using the _this command, but to no avail. Another problem I'm having now is getting the preloader to display both variables (kilobytes loaded and total kilobytes) in separate dynamic text fields. Right now it only displays the amount loaded, but I want the total number displayed too. Also, it takes a VERY long time for my preloader to load the frames and begin the animation (I tested it at 56k). How can I test it for the speed of DSL or a cable modem? Can anyone help me with any of those problems?
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't use the end file...

I originally updated the tutorials code to not use _root because there were too many people who didn't know how to get around it not working when the movie was loaded into another movie.

The code in the tutorial got updated, but the downloadable file at the end did not.

BTW: It's not _this, it's just "this", which is probably why it didn't work when you tried it :)
  • FAMUAKA23
  • Born
  • Born
  • FAMUAKA23

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you post the URL again please?
  • FAMUAKA23
  • Born
  • Born
  • FAMUAKA23

Post 3+ Months Ago

So if I change it to "this" instead of _this, is that the correct operator for a movie inside of a movie?
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

this = current timeline
_root = first timeline in hierarchy
_parent = 1 timeline up in the hierarchy from current timeline

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts