Advice for a good way to start on this..

• theman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I decided I want to learn to make a flash website, they seem like they work better and look a lot nicer. I've already done html stuff and some javascript...so my question is how to start?

Any good tutorial? The help in macromedia is kinda lame. To make you more able to give advice let me outline the extent that I want my site to be and I'd also like to know how hard it will be to accomplish.

Heres a preview of what I'm going to base the index off of:

http://www.lastamericanbuffalo.com

now the links will obviously be the words (home, media, etc) but what i want to happen is on rollover the line is animated to the part of the plane (a smooth but fast animation, so i don't want it to just appear but to draw towards it)

When click i want another window to pop up but not a regular explorer window, a window thats part of the page that comes up. Like the windows here: http://www.keanemusic.com/

for each link the window will come up in a different spot

The backround I'm going to make an image similar to old fashioned wallpaper and main index will have a thick white border that i want to look like this one: http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/napoleon ... /index.php

So if any of have the time to outline what a summary of what this job entails and how much I'll have to learn i would be most greatly indebted to you. If not I would also be greatful for any links to a good tutorial that deals specifically with my situation (or close to it)

Thanks again for reading and any help in advance.

[/img]
  • theman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also it might do me good if anyone of you have a flash file i can look at to view how you set up layers and such to get the desired effects. I have some familiarity with the timeline but I'm having trouble getting the rollover to actually make the desired effect as opposed to just looped movement.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just search through google. They usually give good websites for Flash Tutorials... also there are some sites that give/provide free Flash Templates.
  • theman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I appreciate your input however what I'm asking for is specific direction on how to apply the things I want to do as well as how much work what I'm asking entails. Then i said if you can't help with those a refferal to a specific tutorial that will be of help to me would be appreciated. If you can help me with any of that then I would appreciate it,. Telling me to search google on the other hand is not of help, I searched google and theres just too much junk out there to sort through so I'm asking for a little guidance.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

the first thing you're going to want to do is get in and understand what flash does and how it works. Goign through tutorials and experimenting the best way to do that.

as for a tutorial on how to get a full flash site to work, this is the best one IMO:
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/full_site.htm
  • yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Ukraine

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, kirupa.com is a great resource, also try actionscripts.org
  • theman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys!!! These sites are perfect, I'm stoked to get started!!

:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts