Is AMFPHP faster?

• CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone have experience with AMFPHP?

I'm curious to know it's limitations/ speed difference for passing data to and from MySQL in Flash.
  • tan_go
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is that a company or what?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://amfphp.org/
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm leary about this after taking a look at it and finding a bunch of PHP files and a few SWF files.

I don't understand how it works. I was thinking maybe the SWF parsed SQL queries into bytecode that the MySQL server would understand then the MySQL server would return bytecode that the SWF would understand until I saw all of that PHP in there.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It simply allows you to use remote objects with Flash and PHP. Rather than convert objects to XML in order to send them back and forth between Flash and PHP, AMFPHP handles the serialization of objects and type between the two languages.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah ok.

Sure would be nice if there were an easy interface that let Flash speak directly with the MySQL server. I'm fairly sure Flash can manipulate the data any way it needs more efficiently with a large audience than PHP can by now.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my opinion that defeats the purpose of Flash as a user interface layer in an application, which is what it really is. Even Flex apps are built primarily for UI purposes; the AS3 behind the scenes handles user events and dispatches to remote procedures and web services.

Putting all of your DB access logic in the Flash doesn't separate out responsibility concerns enough to maintain flexibility in the design.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Putting all of your DB access logic in the Flash doesn't separate out responsibility concerns enough to maintain flexibility in the design.

I couldn't agree more. I've found that its best practice to do the heavy lifting behind the scenes (php, .net, etc) and just feed the data to/from the swf.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, to answer your original question CE, using a serialized bytestream will almost certainly be faster, and allows you to work directly with classes instead of XML.

The OP in this post on StackOverflow decided to go with ZendAMF rather than AMFPHP; you might want to look into that as well.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys aren't looking at the big picture. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts