Ask them if they want to preload a movie

• RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to offer a movie on my splash page to attract visitors. However I don't want the movie to completely load unless they say it's ok. In my first frame I want to have a picture with a button that says something along the lines of "Click here to see the Intro". If they click the intro button then the movies goes to a new preloading frame that loads the movie and when the movie is done loading it plays it. I've seen flash movies that load in portions so I know it can be done.

Would I need to make 2 movies and if they click the one link load the movie in the the first one or is their an actionscript solution?

Thanks for you help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take your preloader scritp and place an if statement in there for something like :

Code: [ Select ]
if (bytesLoaded = 1/4 of the movie) {
// do something
} else {
// keep loading
}
  1. if (bytesLoaded = 1/4 of the movie) {
  2. // do something
  3. } else {
  4. // keep loading
  5. }

Or you could just place a button on the first frame of your movie with the stop() syntax asking if they wish to watch the movie or not.
  • omirix
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

ActionScript tutorials:
http://www.actionscripts.org/tutorials.shtml
  • ewomack
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not just have a link that takes them to the movie? If they want to see it they'll click it. If not then it won't be an issue at all. I guess I don't understand the effect you're trying to create.
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to give them the choice without switching the page. I want the index.php to be the real index, I don't want to redirect them to a new page or use frames or iframes yet I don't want them to have to load the movie (even a little bit of it) if they have no intentions on viewing it. From the links I looked at, it looks like my best choice would be to have a movie with the links to my page (skipping the movie) or a link to play the movie. Then if you press play movie it takes you to a new scene in which an external movie is called into the first movie. That movie will have the preloader and will then play and then redirect the visitor to the main page.

Thanks for all the help.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't bother with scenes.

Do as I suggested and have a button that asks if they wish to view your intro, if they click ok dynamicaly load the movie into a container clip, if not, load some other part of your website.

It's not a hard concept.
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why not just have the preview movie button go to a new scene that loads the movie? The way I have it setup now is very simple works perfect for what I want, so I guess the question is, what would be the benefit of doing it your way? The example you gave me loads 1/4th of the movie and then does something based on that. If they have no intention of watching it that's just wasted bandwidth (however little it may be). My way, they only load the first screen (13kb), which will have my logo and all that stuff with a button the the news page and if they want they can go to the next scene and load the external movie which shows in the original. They don't load any part of the movie unless they want, yet I still can have a Flash splash page with no redirection.
  • R.L.D.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Astoria,Queens

Post 3+ Months Ago

use the " loadMovieNum()" script

creat one movie that has a button...
and for the button use the "on (release){"
script and then " loadMovieNum("Movie.swf",1); "
when the "movie.swf" will be your main animation
with the preloader in the first frame .
make sure both movies are the same size(width and hignt).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts