Auto Execute-Can It Be Done?

• CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Chicago, IL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Auto Execute (Can it be done?)

I am working on a project where a company wants to create a CD rom disk of their services to hand out at trade shows. The display of their services will be created in Flash. One of the things they want most is when the disk is inserted into the CD drive, for it to have an auto-execute type program that will automatically open up and play the Flash movie, without having to open it up manually or going to my computer or the run command.
Is this possible and how is it done?

Thank you,
cgfX
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take a look at one of your auto-run bat files on your PC.

You can modify one to auto-run the flash file. Make sure you fiddle with a COPY version and not the realy bat file otherwise if you get it wrong you could be in trouble.
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigmatic,

Thank you very much for your reply, what I need for this project to be able to do is load on any PC/Mac when the disk is inserted into the disk drive. Just like a music CD and/or a DVD movie. Like I said before, the company wants to hand this out to the general public. So whoever gets the disk with the Flash presentation on it, can load the disk into any PC/Mac or lap. And it will auto-run soon as it is placed into the drive.

Thanks again,
cgfX
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grab the Autorun file from another CD (such as windows installation disk) and alter it so that it will work to open the flash file.

Then all you need do is place this new Autorun file onto the CD that contains your Flash Presentation.
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigmatic,

Thank you, that sounds pretty good. I have never done that before but it makes a lot of sense. The altering part will be a test, but I am going to give your idea my best. I will keep you in touch with how it works.

Thanks again,
cgfX
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should only need to alter a line or two at the most, just to set the destination file as your Flash Presentation. On the whole though the rest of the file should stay the same.

Good Luck.
  • Jaw
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Knowing how to auto execute on any OS is a sweet addition to any arsenal of skills.

To get auto run working on a windows pc
http://www.webwasp.co.uk/tutorials/a24-autorun-CD/index.php

The next link shows how to get autoexecute working on mac
http://www.were-here.com/content/templates/articles.asp?articleid=140&zoneid=7

good luck
  • CGFX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jaw,

Hey thanks a whole lot.
This looks like what the Doctor ordered. I will give this a try as well. Enigmatic and yourself have both been a great help. I have not had the time to put real effort into Enigmatic idea, because I am getting in those final papers to receive my Bachelors of Arts in Digital Media Technology (Yeeeee Haaaaaa). So as you can figure I've been extra busy, but I will start right after tomorrows graduation (Yeeeee Haaaaaa, again).

All Smiles,
cgfX
P.S. Maybe I'll come get a job in the UK...*LOL*

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts