3 Basic flash questions

• Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) How do I pause frame for 3 seconds?

2) how do select and move a group of layers together across the time line?

3) Is there a basic that leads to advanced guide to actionscript.

I only have Flash 5 (cant afford to upgrade).
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1 - I don't remember if the setInterval() function was available in Flash 5. If it is, investigate that.

Back in the day, we used to create timeline-timers, however. Basically we'd use a MC's timeline, based on the framerate of the presentation. So, maybe you have a looping section of frames that keeps repeating until a variable increments beyond a certain number.

2 - No exactly sure what you mean here. I assume you mean animating/repositioning disparate objects. Animations can always be created by timeline tweens or programatically. Doesn't matter what layer they're on. You may need to elaborate on what it is you're trying to accomplish.

3 - I assume you're looking for a tutorial. (?)

I have always depended on Flash's help files/system for learning, which I have always found to be very well done. I look up the scripting elements I need, etc.

IMO, tutorials teach you how to follow directions, not how to use programs. :D
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

looping section of frames I could do cheers.

Thanks i will look at the help files :oops:

digitalMedia wrote:
2 - No exactly sure what you mean here. I assume you mean animating/repositioning disparate objects. Animations can always be created by timeline tweens or programatically. Doesn't matter what layer they're on. You may need to elaborate on what it is you're trying to accomplish.

I simply want to be able to select more than one layer at a time. (so that I can drag all those layers across without having to do them individually… nothing to do with animation)
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Johan,

If you want to select the objects on more than one layer at a time, simply select all the layers you want to move on the timeline (using shift or control to select them all.)
Then, on the stage, just click and drag any one of the objects that should now be outlined in blue and you'll be moving all of them together.

If you want to move the layers on the timeline, just select 'em all and drag on the timline...

another option, too, is to put all the layers you want to keep together in a folder... it'll make it much easier... the folder icon below the frame area allows you to create a new folder... then just drag 'em in...

peace.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol I can only get the folder option to work at home but at work I don’t think Flash 5 has folders!

When I select multipliers and go to move them on the time line the layers simply deselect!

Don’t worry too much I will move each layer by hand.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol GOT IT I was selecting the layers from the layer labels and not the time line itself!!!!! :oops: Stuff like this that really pisses me off about Flash and I have a love hate relationship with it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts