Beginner - How to change the text in a .fla file of a flash-

• microwave
  • Born
  • Born
  • microwave

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all I'm a complete noob in Flash.
I'm sorry for that, but I'm eager to learn!
(I have Adobe Flash CS4 installed)

The File
This is the file I have troubles with:
//download link removed since problem is solved.

What do I want to do?
I downloaded a pre-made flash intro, and all I have to do is change the text of it, but I can't find out how!

What did I try?
I'll try to explain what I did, but it's hard to explain.

When I ctrl+enter my movie, I see as first sentence in my flash intro "Creative Expression".
I want to change that to another word.

When I go to my library, I find a lot of "sprites", and one of them has different layers in a timeline. Including the text layer I guess, because when I hide this layer, the text does not show up anymore in edit-mode. When I watch in edit-mode all the text in this layer, all the text are words "Text".

BUT when I ctrl+enter, I see other words, like "Creative Expression" as text.

In the library I can also see "sprites" in the library with as content the looks of the text "Creative Expression".
But instead of "Creative Expression, the word in the "sprite" is just "Text".

So what did I do:
I changed the word "Text" to my word and ctrl+enter'ed but I still see "Creative Expression".
BUT in edit-mode I see the correct text (my text)

When I save, and export, I still see the words "Creative Expression", eventhough I changed it to my word.

What do I have to do? What do I do wrong?

I hope to read a reply that will solve this question.
I already thank you!

- microwave
Moderator Remark: Removed download link.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• microwave
  • Born
  • Born
  • microwave

Post 3+ Months Ago

nvm, I found it
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the benefit of others that might read this post could you confirm that you found the same thing that I did?

The sprites are just place holders for dynamic text and the text needed to be edited in an included XML file. Was much easier than you thought, I bet! *smile
  • microwave
  • Born
  • Born
  • microwave

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
For the benefit of others that might read this post could you confirm that you found the same thing that I did?

The sprites are just place holders for dynamic text and the text needed to be edited in an included XML file. Was much easier than you thought, I bet! *smile

indeed :oops:
it was much easier than I thought

though I have edited intros before with messing in the fla file to edit the text
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes. And I tried it your way once thinking editing sprite74 would alter all the other instances and had the same initial results you did. So I checked the text field properties and saw it was dynamic and I was like hmmmmm, and started looking for the XML file which I assumed had to be there and sure enough! I'll definitely keep that one for reference. That's a much easier way to do some of the things I want to do. I am going to remove the link to your FLA since you've solved the problem. I'm assume you didn't get that one for free and wouldn't want it distributed to the world.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts