Beginning a flash website..help needed

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
i am 15 yrs old and new to flash, i made this website with html http://www.kalbals-homepage.2ya.com (check the music) but i have seen what some people (lostinbeta, unflux ect) have been able to do with flash, so i thought i would give it a try. i have came across a few problems tho.

1) how do you do the cool effects?..like the closing of text boxes, text just slowly dissolving onto the screen, stuff like that.

2)when u create the main page of the website, i know you have to import the other pages into that document, how do you know that the imported pages will not overtake the whole document?..i mean, it will not overwrite the nav bar and menu?

3)how do u make the page automaticly load a page as soon as the user goes onto the site? because they would have to click the homepage link streight away to actually see anything?

ok they are my questions, i hope you can help me out thank you..kalbal
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your link is broken... :idea: I'm not getting anything...
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

the host i am using is very new, they r still fixing bugs, so i guess they will have alot of down time. not really my fault, it will be back up soon, retry the link l8r
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) Effects such as that are usually done via basic motion/shape tweens and masks.

2) Im not sure I understand what you mean, but can I assume you mean importing images into the library of your movie? If so... if you import 2 images of the same name you will get an error where it asks you whether or not you want to overwrite the image, this option cannot be undone if you accidently overwrite (well except if you don't save and go to File/Revert instead to return the document to it's last saved form)

3) Just put the movie on the page, you don't have to have a link leading to the page with the movie, that is just an option many flash sites take due to the possibility of people not having the flash plugin installed.

I was kind of confused by your questions so sorry if you gave wrong answers. If I did could you be more clear?

Also, don't expect to be Mr. FlashMaster in a day. I've been working with Flash for a year now and still don't have everything down to a science (especially in the motion/shape tween department). I recommend starting off with the tutorials that come with Flash, they are actually quite useful for animation basics and things like that.

What I do is mostly (if not all) done via Actionscript... and that takes much longer to learn and "master" than tweens. In the world of Flash there are 3 types of people. People who can design/animate but not code that well, people who can code but can not design/animate that well, and people who are just good at both (the evil evil people!), as you get into Flash you will probably learn what category you fall in. I started off with Flash as a design/animation tool but after a month I found my place in Actionscript instead.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks alot for trying to answer those questions :roll:

but i managed to answer some of those questions myself today. i have finished the site i planned to make with flash, i have tried it online and it works as well, it has a few tweened bits atm, but only when you first load the page. but i realised i need to make it bigger, it looks ver small on my 1024*768 screen., so i am going to make it bigger.

but the website works and that is a bonus for me.

lostinbeta, i have no idea what catagory i fit into (of the ones u suggested).

but i do have to say this, to me, making a flash website was alot easier than making one with html. i just took the actionscript from a tutorial site which got me going. my little bro in the other room is also making a website in flash.(it doesn't look great). but it looked better than his old website he made. he got the code from me, but all it takes is some imagination. tweening is easy and so are the buttons. Flash allows sites to look good as well as have some good content.

oh and btw my bro is 13 yrs old. and his site is about blatently nothing lol. i am goin to experiment with tweening and see what i can do, i will add a link to the site when i am certain it is ready to be critisised (spell? lol)

it will take a long time to be great with flash, but Hey, making a fully working website in 3 days can't be bad, can it?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

a little more help please, on my old website http://www.kalbals-homepage.2ya.com i had a music page, and i put some html into the doc to make a small console to load the music up and play it, can you do that in flash?..i mean is there a way to insert small html scripts into it?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

so how do u put html into a flash doc?...
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can't use HTML in Flash, they are two entirely different entities. The mose HTML you can use in Flash is HTML formatted text, and even then you can only use limited tags (I believe HTML 1.0).

Flash does however have it's own method to play sounds, it is called the Sound object. You can read up on that here..

http://www.kennybellew.com
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks alot, i will read it.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a long read, but definitely worth every millisecond of it... that is the most educational resource you will possibly every find on the internet for the sound object in Flash.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts