Build Local Flash Applications

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

AS: 2
Flash 8

So, for years I've been building web-based Flash applications using PHP and MySQL requiring a webserver and modules. I'm now in need to build a local application that can store information offline and I'm more comfortable with Flash. I'm currently reading about Shared Objects but what is the best way to, in a sense, build a nice fully packaged Flash program that uses some type of local database that doesn't require the local machine to be running a webserver and scripting modules or a web-based database. I guess one of my first big hurdles is storing information just with an swf. Is there a way for Flash to communicate with a database without ASP, PHP, etc even a local database?

Thanks for the info.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks like I need Adobe Director and I found an Xtra called Arca which is a small database that needs no installation. This is what I need, but so far learning Director is not going well for me. It seems Adobe got caught up in providing "Lingo" that I can't make heads or tails of it. Just give me a stage and actions panels and a timeline. Jeez. So far I am not pleased with the usability of Director. If I can find a scripting plugin for flash that uses something like Arca then I'd be working. I guess worst case scenario I can make some type of LAMP thumbdrive system and then I can just run access from a webroot on the thumbdrive that has the swf and html.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look into Adobe Air It will let you package flash/html/javascript etc as a local application. I've seen others over the years but they all seem to function in somewhat strange ways. Is there a possibility that you could assume the user has internet access and store all your data online as you normally would?
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

We're going into this assuming the user does not have internet access. Being a web programmer they're just messing with my emotions. I've actually begun revamping the program in ajax and talked them into deploying uniform servers on anyone's computer that wants to run the program. That way I can still use php/mysql. Granted they aren't using their computer as a webserver, but if so they should know how to turn it off to free up port80. Then, if they ARE online I'll sync with a centralized database just making sure my primary keys are unique. If they're offline then they can continue to work and just sync up later whenever they get their internet back up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts