Can't get flash plugin installed in Mozilla's Firebird.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just wondering has anyone figured out how to get the Flash plugin installed in Mozilla's Firebird browser?

I have had no joy for the last several weeks.

I download the plugin -- it looks like it installs -- but still no Flash.

I have Firebird 0.6.1 installed at the moment. Did I miss a redo that fixed that?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I unzipped the firebird browser to my Program Files directory.

Then I downloaded the .exe install file for the flash plugin.

Then I chose other for browser and I browsed to the location of my firebird folder, and in that folder is a plugin folder, choose this folder to install to.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sorta inadvertantly crossposted in the other thread -- but I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep -- that did it. I can't believe they made that so friggin difficult. That is totally unlike Mozilla.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well Firebird is still a testing browser, it is in the early stages which is why the version is still 0.x. They don't even have an install for the browser yet, you have to unzip the .zip file to the program files folder manually.

My guess is that as they fix up some bugs in Firebird and get some things out of the way they will add an install and make it easier to install the Flash (and other) plugins.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know -- I just realized while fixing that I need to update to a newer build. I sorta like it as an executable though -- Phoenix was like that and it was faster than dirt. Netscape's Gecko version I hate - the java-based format slows everthing down so much when I run it on Win98.

It's not free but I fell in love with the Touchnet browser. That one rocks! Link for Touchnet download (30 day trial $30 US):
http://www.sofotex.com/download/software/4912.html
(Oh -yah -- a word of caution -- when you close Touchnet you have options to delete a ton of history and other personal security stuff -- I don't know how they do it, but it deletes EVERYTHING from IE as well _ I think that's pretty slick!, but some may not want their automatic password stuff, etc...deleted from IE so be careful -- It's also pretty cool that on install it automatically imports all your IE favorites. -- And the tabs browsing is the best I've seen)

As an added note in doing all that, I discovered that the current release of Flashplayer is version 7,0,14,0

Just an FYI in case anyone is interested in an upgrade:
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/dow ... wave-flash
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never heard of that browser.

And I know about the latest version of the flash plugin because the last version always crashed on me. I would go to a flash site and I would get an error and my browser would close. I updated my plugin and it works fine now. It was weird, but whatever, hehe.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just edited my post and added the download link and a few comments.

We should probably post a separate discussion about it at some point after some have tried it. I absolutely love it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts