CAN YOU CREATE FLASH ROAD MAPS USING GRAPHIC MOVEICLIPS!?

• dann_the_van
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dann_the_van
  • Loc: South Wales, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there...

I'm looking to create a movieclip inside a flash file, that loads a graphic representation of the major roads within the Uk.
My university project involves a pixellated version of the UK, which they can zoom in and out.

I thought of splicing a 'whole' uk image into smaller 'regional' images and arraying them using the map-array code... but heres the problem! :(

i'm unable to find a high quality graphic that i can use create these arrayed movieclips. Is there any free hi-quality graphics that only display the major roads.. preferably scalable!?

I have been looking to produce them using GUI maps but i want the graphic to be built in so that they can use it without an internet connection...

----------------------

I've been looking closely at the scalable uk maps that plot regions via xml points etc. With some looking around i've found them for free. but i havent found one with roads plotted on them!? http://www.maps4.com
Can anyone help me!? Is this the best route!? they are only visible to help the user recognise where they are viewing on the map, should they get lost.
---------------------

Am i going to have to grab an very hi-res image of the uk, and create my own scalable layer by tracing over the roads in illustrator or something!?

--------------------

Please bare in mind, i can't afford several hundreds of pounds to spend on these maps... afterall, i am a student! :)

Thanks,

Danny
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi-res image wouldn't be such a good idea due to the long time to load em ... but in extreme cases you can use it too.
Better create them on the fly, using the xml points. Keep on searching till you find the points for the roads as well.
  • dann_the_van
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dann_the_van

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi IceCold,
I've been searching and searching for atleast a week now... a few hours every evening. I guess i'm not going to get the info i need in such short notice.

I thought XML points may be the easiest, but where would i get such information from!? I've emailed a few companies asking for information, but to my dissapointment, i've not yet recieved a reply.
I've even thought of buying a scalable digital format map and slicing it, just it'll be so much work!

thanks for the reply anyway!
Danny
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

here is a nice one euromap... but i'd doubt any company will provide you such information, even if it's only for a school project.
  • dann_the_van
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dann_the_van

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm too, dubious about getting the information for plotting the roads for my project.

I'm looking into downloadable digital mapping. i've seen versions that are layered, so i can turn on/off roads, regions etc tec.

any ideas!?

thanks,
Danny
  • classified
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Bahrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe you should contact GIS-related company , they usually help university students ....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts