Click to activate this control

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've seen a few methods to bypass the "click to activate this control" imposed on Flash Movies theese days & can't help but wonder, does using theese methods put me at risk of violating whatever patent Microsoft & other browser makers have been forced to resort to the click for ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i'm sure that Microsoft will sue your ass for using Adobe way of handling the "click to activate this control" thing.
Oh, on a second thought, they'll have to sue Adobe first ... so wait untill they sue Adobe then you can remove the bypassing method.
Ah, the simplest way is to send an email to Microsoft and ask about this problem. If they don't answer, then keep the email and use it as an evidence when you'll be sued :P
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, it's some smalltime company that holds the patent that effects this, there was a big deal over it when it started going around, even talk of MS trying to buy the patent so they wouldn't get stuck with the click to activate.

I don't understand how Microsoft & others can be forced to use a click to activate, yet theese methods that do exactly what the patent covers are not effected.
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's about a patent:
Quote:
Eolas, of Chicago, holds a license on a patent from the University of California on a method for embedding and invoking interactive applications such as applets and plug-ins in Web browsers.

So if you hold license on a invetion (in this case some coding methods), and someone is using your invention, you can sue their asses big time.
About the second part, with the work around, i think there's no need for you to worry, and they can not sue a user since he is not the one who implemented their embedding methods. This is only a problem for the ones who created the browsers using the methods which are under a patent.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gotcha, thanks. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts