Complete Idiot's Guide To Page Flip...

• dismas
  • Born
  • Born
  • dismas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, all. My name's Nick Dismas and I'm a part-time freelance illustrator from Manchester, England. I've got a lot of artistic experience, both traditionally and digitally, but almost zero experience in web design (other than my current crappy website). I'm currently wanting to redesign my website and really like the idea of having my portfolio as a comic book the viewer can flip through to see different illustrations. I've managed to aquire myself the open source Page Flip by scanning the older threads here and it's exactly what I'm looking for, only I want my pictures and words on the pages now.

I have absolute zero experience in Flash and I was kinda hoping this might be a drag and drop affair, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I was hoping that if someone had the time they might be able to give me some hinters at how to get rid of the text and pictures there at the moment and get my own stuff in there. Please take note of the "idiot" part of the title here - I'm not very techy so big words and jargon will fly right over my head, but any help anyone can offer would be great!

I'm using Flash Professional 8 on an Intel Mac OSX and create all my graphics in Adobe Photoshop, if that helps at all.

Cheers

this

PS: Sorry for another Page Flip thread, but I couldn't really find an existing one that dumbed it down enough for me.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to go and get yourself a lynda.com account and do some of the Flash tutorials to get a better handle on how Flash works before you dive in trying to "make it work". A basis like that (or a Flash book) will give you what you need to ask questions that we can answer.
  • TheProfessor
  • Born
  • Born
  • TheProfessor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Dismas, i have create the page turn effect several times and teach it to my students. However there are two version of the effect. One with hard pages and the absolutly fantasic version with realistic paper movment. You right it does involve drag and drop to some extent but it is actually quite an advanced effect with some complex script that also loads the pages in array and reveals them using a dragging mask.

Now the best way of learning the effect is to buy the book 'Flash Hacks' as it has a very good tutorial on how to create a simple version. Another way is to get over to FlashKit.com as i remember seeing a beautiful version of the effect in the movieclip search.

All the best
  • laynein
  • Born
  • Born
  • laynein

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found a post “share your page flip resources” on Adobe Forum. sorry,I cannot post external link here. You may have to google “share your page flip resources”.

Plus, flash and Java component works on MacOS. And "aXmag" has software for Mac, "swftools" works on linux. Be careful, if you decide to purchase any products.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts