Displaying a page full of flash videos without downloading

• Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.

I have a site which has a page full of videos - 12 or so. The videos are .flv format and I am using the FLVPlayback component in Flash 8 to publish to .swf files.

I am new both to working with video and to Flash.

The default seems to be that, when the page is loaded on the client PC, all the videos are downloaded, which makes for a slow page load (even over broadband) and a waste of bandwidth.

What I want is to have all the videos display on the page, but for none of them to download until they are selected to play. Is this possible or am I best just using some jpegs to display the page full of videos then link off to an individual page for each?

Thx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi - I didn't get a response to this so I will try broadening out the enquiry:

I'm sure there must be some of you on this forum that have experience of displaying video on web pages - so what have you found is the best way to do it - without getting into the expense of using streaming media servers?

I have come to the conclusion that Flash is the best way to do it - just because of its cross browser cross OS support - so the next question is how to display the flash videos (.flv)

I have defaulted (initially) to using the FLVplayback component - but maybe I should be looking at a third party product such as wimpy wasp http://www.wimpyplayer.com/products/wimpy_wasp.html

I don't want to get involved in coding actionscript. I just want something that will let people view the videos, but without defaulting to downloading the videos on pageload - even if the user does not choose to view.

Any suggestion welcome!
  • krismeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • krismeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

In the past I've made a still image as the default of a video, until the user click, when I load a real movie.

On my work's site, there is an example of this technique on the left side here:
http://www.browsermedia.com/cs/web-design
  • Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks krismeister. I found that that the 'wasp' player I refer to above would let me use a jpeg holding image for the video and not download till play is pressed - so that's the route I plan to go since it involves no coding.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts