Does Flash support PHP Sessions?

• CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm very curious to know if flash accepts PHP sessions. For instance is it plausible to make a social network like facebook... using Flash as a user manipulated "front end" interface to let the user manipulate flash pages and "stuff" off a mysql database.

if that makes any sense? :?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Generally a PHP session is kept track of using a PHP session-name-specific cookie, or a "SID=..." sort of GET variable constantly attached to the URL.

http://www.php.net/manual/session.idpassing.php

Unless Flash is keeping track of normal HTTP cookies now, you'll have to make sure the Flash application gets a session id from the server and continues to attach that session id to the URL any time it makes requests for content back to the server.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll need to pass and access session/cookie info via javascript. The ExternalInterface() is your friend.
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks.

Off to barnes and noble to collect mass amounts of books to cram into my brain. lol

and so it begins.

p.s: if anyone is interested... and has the skills... I would like to develop a team to tackle this idea.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm right there with you. I intend to do the same thing to make pool scripts based on phpbb sessions. This is actually going to be the first thread I subscribe to since I started here. And I do know how externalinterface() works with javascript, but I need t0 figure out how to apply php sessions.
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just worried that the system will be slow... considering it would be passing data so many different ways... pipeline options:

1.) user-java session-flash-php-mySQL
2.) user-java session-flash with amfphp-mySQL (I've heard good things about amfphp but haven't done much testing)

I think my biggest concern is making the sessions work properly and bring back page information of user profiles. Maybe i'll start with making a database of usernames and passwords. Then see if i can get sessions to remember backround colors or a simple headline and then send that info back to flash.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts