DRAWING CARTOON CHARACTER! my big problem.

• dhoyin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • dhoyin
  • Loc: west africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just started reading a book on cartooning with flash.The starting point of flash cartooning is getting a good story and drawing the characters. i think drawing the characters would be my biggest challenge.i print out disney characters and draw them, but it has really been difficult drawing my own characters from scratch.is drawing cartoon characters a natural gift or something you can learn in a class and develop over time.is there any website i can go that can help.what do you guyz think.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

if it's natural then it's certainly easier to further develop.
If not, you need to learn it first ... the hard way :D
You can search for tutorials on how to draw characters.
First of all is the copy phase. If you get good at reproducing characters, then try to memorize and reproduce them without a print in your face.
When you get good at that too you'll realize that it's all about the sketch and the details. Just notice all the details you see in a character: shadows, small spots ... anything that you can think of.
You will need a lot of practice, cos practice makes better, but if you are willing to learn, then you'll see is not that hard.
After you get all these prerequisites, you can start building your own character.
You need to think of a character, what exactly to be:
an animal, a robot, an alien ... etc.
If it's a character that you already know (i.e.: a bear) is easier, you already know how it looks like. If it's an alien that no one has seen yet, just think how you want it to look like, give it a definite shape. With a clear shape in your mind, start to draw until you get the desired shape on paper, next enhance your character with all kind of small details.
Remember, these small details make all the difference.

The internet is a rich resource for all kind of things, and graphics makes no exception.
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is what i quickly found google-ing.
animation of tweens
and one of the final phrase is:
Quote:
Finally I'd recommend getting Macromedia Flash Cartoon Animation - Learn from the pros - by Kevin Peaty and Glen Kirkpatrick from Friends of Ed. ISBN 1-9034509-8-5 - which is a superb insight into animating cartoons for Flash explaining all the best techniques and going into greater detail than I could here

Also u can try: cartoon smart
  • dhoyin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • dhoyin
  • Loc: west africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

IceCold, i think that is still the best advice i have gotten from this forum. thanks am very grateful. well i think i would be starting with drawing your "ducked" face. i have gone through cartoon smart, in due time i would get their cartoon drawing package. i think it would be interesting,those cartoon smart character look lovely. thank ya man.
  • krismeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • krismeister

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might also look into ToonBoom, it's a professional animator software. It can export to Flash.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts