Expanding the abilities of Full Screen Flash Windows

• uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not quite sure how to phrase this question but I'll give it my best shot!

First off for anybody that does not know what I mean by "Full Screen Flash Window" look at This Site, obviously choose to "Enter Flash Site", this should launch the site in a window that is full screen yet scalable. This "Full Screen Flash" is not that new I don't think, even though I personally have not used it yet in any of my work.

My question about the full screen ability is how far it can be tweaked.

I know that when using full screen in Flash you want to set the stage parameters to be scalable =true or false which is what keeps your graphics the same size vs. expanding to fill the window as it expands or contracts.

Well what about this-

Here's the real MEAT OF THE QUESTION!

Can you set scalable=false to keep your graphics the same size, however at the same time have them slide around on the page as it expands or contracts to fill the entire area of the page?

In other words you take the behavior of a regular HTML Table with properties set to width=100% and height=100% and see how all the graphics inside the table adjust their position on the screen when you resize your browser so that for the most part the symetry of your design stays the same while filling up the entire page as your graphics slide around. Here's an example of that kind of table(although this one has a fixed height and only expands in width).

Can we do this in Flash?

If the fullscreen ability allows the background of the FlashPlayer to extend beyond the original boundaries of the swf loaded into it then why can't the graphics also be able to be programmed to float beyond the boundaries to desired positions based on screen resolution settings?

Sorry if someone has already asked this before, but I hope they haven't and that I've given one of you brilliant minds a good puzzle to solve! :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• yuriythebest
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Ukraine

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm, you got it a bit wrong. What you saw on that site was actually a full screen internet explorer window with flash inside. If you want to make a REAL fullscreen window, you can do it this way:
create a flash file with this on the first frame:

fscommand ("fullscreen", "true");

Post a link to the swf file somewhere. If it still opens in internet explorer then you still can export it as a projector(exe) file, but then there are 2 big setbacks:
1. the user must choose if he can save it to his hd or open it directly
2. it adds 700kb, so anyone without broadband won't bother
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you, that's interesting and I will file that knowledge away for reference when I'm ready to do a fullscreen project. I still wonder though if what I am seeking to accomplish can be done. I admit I only have limited understanding of how the whole FlashPlayer works and what the Full Capabilities of Flash are, which is why I'm here posing my problem for the Oz Community! :D

So now I should clear up my question a little further since you have added a new twist to the equation!

Since the Flash Player can expand to fill an Internet Explorer window, or even "FullScreen Windowless", why can't the graphics inside slide around as if they were in an expanding table?

Can this be done, will it soon be able to be done?

Thanks for the feedback everyone, any piece of contributed knowledge helps!
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I guess since Adobe (which I love) bought Macromedia, the subject of my question is most likely bound to change... What will Adobe do??
  • mahjik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mahjik
  • Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

uknightuss,

I just started dealing with some of these same issues. i threw some code together if you want to take a look. i got my new site, but a friend is using it for this website he is working on while his is down. the cheezy splash flash is DEFINITELY not mine. :lol:

anyway you can get the fla or run/save the exe with these links.

http://flash-ninja.com/flash/fullscreenTest2.fla
http://flash-ninja.com/flash/fullscreenTest2.exe

hope that helps, and i am always open to criticism, comments and general junk like that, just please keep it constructive.
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is VERY Interesting, it looks like it is definitely the basis of what I'm talking about. Unfortunately for me I was unable to open your .fla file because I am using "MX" and when I tried to open it said "unexpected file format"..

The exe runs just fine, but I cannot view the actionscript from that... :(

I would definitely love to see behind the scenes of what you've done here and try some experiments based on it! I'm not sure if you can convert your .fla to the regular "MX" version or not, it would be cool if you could! :D

Does the final presentation have to be an .exe instead of a .swf? If so, why? Is it ok if I ask? (EDIT:/ Reading above I noticed that yurithewhatshisname may have already answered this question for me..)

Can what you've made here run in an IE window?

Thanks
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd also like to say Thanks mahjik for understanding my question which I don't feel like the other guy did, and for giving good solid "critique/reference/advice" which is something I always try to do for people! :D

I didn't think there would be any more posters on this topic of mine, it's been stagnant for a while.. :roll:
  • mahjik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mahjik

Post 3+ Months Ago

i joined this forum because i was looking for the same answers you were. i saw your post and that no one really answered the questions which were also mine, so i ended up slogging through it until 4am before i got it to work. the code is not well written or anything, but all the pertinent pieces are on keyframe 1 and 5, in the actions layer. i saved the fla in mx format and the link is:

http://www.flash-ninja.com/flash/fullscreenTest2MX.fla

lemme know what you think.

mahjik
  • mahjik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mahjik

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, and as far as using a swf is concerned. i did that at first as it is only 8kb, but it opened in an ie window, and i was too tired to mess with it. lol. if you export it from flash and just open the swf it works fine.

the fscommend for fullscreen doesnt work as is in an embedded situation, ie. from an IE window. you can, i am told, use fscommand to send commands to the html page that parents it, and i assume from there go to fullscreen mode, but i don;t know how to do it myself (yet).

once again, hope that helps
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well mahjik to be totally honest I am VERY amateur at Flash and coding/scripting in general.. I wish I could say I had something helpful to add to your project, but at this point in time I'm just totally stumped and can barely even read the script that you've put together! I did ask this question with no idea about how easy or difficult it would be to accomplish the task. I obviously have so much to learn about AS.

I find what you've done inspiring though, and it definitely looks like the basis of what it is I wish to accomplish. I don't have any problems with the swf loading in an IE window, especially if it cuts down on filesize so much.. In fact the sample website that I used for this whole thread opens in a window.. I don't mind that at all.. Maybe as my understanding of AS increases I will be able to look at your script more closely and give some good critique or suggestions.. I will say that when I load up the swf by itself in the flash player and drag the size of the window around, the buttons slide around exactly in the manner that I want. I'm just curious how you can do that with multiple elements and as little amount of AS as possible, essentially making the expanding and collapsing layout like how is done with tables and html.. I think you are much closer at knowing how that is done than I am!! :lol:

By the way on another note,
I was checking out your profile and noticed that you are from Las Cruces. I used to live in Santa Fe for four years (around 91 to 94 I guess) and had a friend from Las Cruces by the last name of "Fresquez". Sound familiar to you? Just thought I'd ask.
  • mahjik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mahjik

Post 3+ Months Ago

np. we were all new once. i remember learning (gack) turbo pascal for DOS, and thinking what the heck is this whole 'modular' thing?. anyway, here are the main points about how that fla works.

1. frame one - main movie. does two things.
A. Stage.align = "LT"; aligns the movie in the top left corner. just a habit of mine for some reason. use = ""; and when you resize the screen, your movie will reposition itself in the center of the new sized window
B. Stage.scaleMode = "noScale"; very important for two reasons. When the screen is resized, this causes your content to stay the same size. otherwise if they make the window wider for example, all your content would get streched out horizontally. and secondly, this has to be set to be able to list for a resize event. i.e. whenever the window is resized, any object listening for it can respond.

2. on keyframe 5. mostly just junk. the whole Whichcorner thing is just to move the button around to differnet corners. the import two pieces are
A. object.onResize = function(){
code you want executed whenever window is resized
}
B. Stage.addListener (object)

so, say you have a button, movie clip, or any other object. 1. give it a 'onResize' function that will handle what needs done on a resizing of the player, and 2. tell the stage object (which is what keeps track of things like window resizing) to tell your object when this event happens. So I added onResize functions to both my functions, and then added 'listeners' to the stage object so that the onjects onResize function would execute automatically whenever the screen resizes.

inside the onResize functions, i make use of the stage object again. Mainly its width and height properties. after the resize event, i check Stage.width and Stage.height, and it tells me the new size of the players space. so, to right align an object whose registration point is in its middle (half of content is in 'positive axis' and half is in 'negative', i need to set its registration point half its width back from the right edge. i.e. object._x = Stage.width - (this.height / 2 + 10). the plus 10 is to pull it back 10 pixels from the edge so there is a little space between it and the edge of the screen.

the this.height. refers to Object since the function is a method of that object. In case this is new to you, if you define any function as part of an object- i.e. myButton.onREsize = function(){.....
vs.

onResize = function(){....

you can use the this keyword to refer to that object, it is great because you can cut and paste the code to any number of objects and not have to change the nbame object 3everywhere inside your function.

so thats pretty much it.

the gradient movie clip simply sets its own width to the stages width on a resize, and ditto for height, so it always fills the entire screen. you could set it to stage width / 2 and it would always be half the size of the screen etc.

hope that helps, i can clarify anything you dont understand.

i just moved here about 2 months ago, and dont really know anyone yet.
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry I didn't make a reply sooner, I've been fairly busy with various things in life...

I will keep this thread as a reference and when I get a little time I will study your work and experiment with it. I'm actually really looking forward to it! After reading your explanation of the main AS things make a little more sense to me now, but it will still take some time of physically working with the code and graphics for me to get a better understanding..

I can send you a PM through Ozzu once I (if I) get to the point of having made something interesting based on your code foundation!

Thanks again for re-kindling/inspiring my interest in this area!
  • jun23
  • Born
  • Born
  • jun23

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi mahjik ,

do you still have the fla file available for download? I am also facing the same problem with full screen web site.....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts