Fading Text Help

• Mickstafa
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mickstafa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, I'm new to the site, and I like what I see! I do have a very frustrating problem in Flash, and I am wondering if someone could help me out.

Whenever I try to fade text through a Alpha tween (like all the tutorials say to do, like in the other fading text message on this board), it views fine in the preview window. But, when I go to preview the clip, the text is just plain visible at 100% opacity. It no longer fades.

I create the text, make it either a graphic or a movie (I've tried both), then I set the keyframes and accordingly set the alpha levels of the graphic/movie to match the keyframes. In the preview, it fades as it should. But when I go to publish/preview it, the text is just 100% opaque for the entire project length.

Please, if you have any ideas on why I can't get this to work, I'd appreciate it! Thanks

-Mick
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• pimpmasta
  • Student
  • Student
  • pimpmasta

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok heres a little step by step:
1. Create Text which you wish to fade
2. Insert keyframe for how long you want it to be..i hope you know how to do that..if you dont then see the tutorials.
3. Select the first frame of the object
4. Insert>Convert to Symbol>Movie Clip>Ok
5. Immediately after step 5 go to properties, and then select color>alpha>"either 100% or wherever you want it to be"
6. Then select the last frame of the Object
7. Insert>Convert to Symbol>Movie Clip>Ok
8. Immediately after step 5 go to properties, and then select color>alpha>"either 100% or wherever you want it to be"
9. Select any keyframe in the layer of the object and right click>creat motion tween.
10. Press cntrl-enter and your done.

Now some of you more advanced flash users may frown at my nubish methods and call them well..nubish. I find when teaching people at my school this method works best. Dont ask me why.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

One key thing to note about fading text in Flash is that dynamic text cannot fade.

Well... offhand it cannot fade. You will have to embed the font outlines of the font in a dynamic textbox in order for it to be fadable in Flash.

To do this you will need to right click on your textbox and open the properties panel, in there will be a button that says "character..." and when you click on that you can choose your option for font outline embedding.

However, if you have no need for this to be dynamic text then just set the type of textbox to "Static" instead of "Dynamic" in the properties panel and it will work just peachy.
  • pimpmasta
  • Student
  • Student
  • pimpmasta

Post 3+ Months Ago

right...what he said
  • solaris
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: NC

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want to avoid converting every individual keyframe (before and after) just convert your text before you make any new keyframes, this will save time and also keep your library nice and neat! :P

(Just a little Helper)

:)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts