Flash MX 2004 -questions/thoughts/tips/comments

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In my older trial version of Flash MX I created a slideshow from the instructions in the Slideshow Template. Well, Flash MX 2004 didn't include the instructions layer in the Slideshow template. I'm trying to remember how to import the photos to the library and get them on the timeline.

I'd like to create another slideshow from the new template, but can't remember how to do this probably easy task.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't installed MX2k4 but I imagine it's the same process...

File/Import to Library

should do the trick. ;)
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then after you import to the library, open the library panel and drag an instance of the image onto the stage :)

Good luck with MX2k4, I haven't heard many good things about it (from advanced flashers who know what they are talking about) which is half the reason I never bothered to save up for and get it.

Although they did re-release it with many of the bugs fixed, but there are still quite a few left. And don't forget that they completely removed the normal mode in the actions panel, which was basically for beginners to actionscript.
  • 3dmk
  • 3dmk
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im still with Flash MX and find it to be very usefull. The move to mx04 is not a viable expense at this time, and mx does the job just fine anyways so why complicate things. :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys. That's what I thought I remembered. I must have done something wrong. I'll try it again tonight. About the new version -- I just got permission to buy it for the company and it seemed to be the only version available to purchase.

It's OK -- I've worked with buggy software before. So far it seems to function just fine. Thanks for the heads up about the actions panel, lostinbeta. I'd have probably been looking all over for it if you hadn't mentioned it.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem ATNO, and as long as you stick to AS 1.0 I should be able to help with most of your problems if you have any. Since I don't have MX2k4 I don't have any way to write AS 2.0 code and actually test to make sure it works :roll:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gotcha - however, it will probably be some time before I get to doing much with Action Script in earnest. At the moment I have my hands full learning Visual Basic, Access 2000, SQL Server 2000, PHP and ASP. I am fascinated by your signature, though. I love the way the grass waves when you pass your mouse over it. I have to assume that's a good example of what action script can do...
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are correct sir. My footer is imported .png images that I made in Photoshop, then applies actionscript to them so they follow the mouse at different rates (while applying an easing method). It's not very realistic, but i've gotten a lot of compliments on it back when it was my footer at kirupaForum so I decided to use it here :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Got the slideshow working lostinbeta -- thanks.

As a side note, I thought I'd mention that I was excited and installed 2004 on my home computer last weekend so I could play with it. I got concerned after I installed it because when you enter the serial to activate it , it connects to macromedia to obtain the activation code. That bothered me, because my computer wasn't where I wanted it installed. I was just anxious to get started. I really wanted it on my webserver at work so I could access it from both work and home (remotely). Well I installed it at work and the activation went off without a hitch. Phew! I was afraid it wouldn't since the license is for a single computer.

Here's the cool part. The other day, I tried to open my home copy just to do a quick little job (I was being lazy and didn't want to remote into work) and guess what? Macromedia had already nixed my activation to the home install . Very Cool! That's probably one of the best ways I've seen a software manufacturer take steps to really try to elliminate bootlegging. Kudos to Macromedia.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, quite a clever step for activation, but it also seems annoying as well. Oh well, we all know the purpose of it is good!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently ADOBE followed suit (or vice versa). When I installed Photoshop CS at work it went through an extemely similar activation process. Now that one I didn't install at home, so I have no way to confirm it. But I like the process. I've never been able to do too much more than trial versions of some of these great programs, but hopefully such a process will help to reduce the price. I was fortunate enough in this case to finally buy full versions without depending on trials or buying upgrades to what I do own, but for my own use at home, they're just still too expensive.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

They sure are too expensive. I have a laundry list of programs I would like to buy, but can't afford (Illustrator and Photoshop CS are top on that list).

:sigh: Maybe the day will come when I can afford these (Well... by that time it won't be the current versions ;))
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this is sort of late, but I don't think Flash MX completely got rid of the beginner's mode. Maybe i have this confused for something else, but along the top of the actions window are some little icons. clicking on the plus sign brings up a hierarchal organization of the actionscript keywords and methods. I just wanted to bring that up. It helped me out quite a bit a while back.

- The Maven
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flash MX still has the Normal Mode. Flash MX 2004 did remove the Normal Mode in the Actions panel.

The hierarcial navigation within the Actions panel is for the ActionScript Reference. You can right click on an item in there and choose to read it's AS Reference entry for what it does and how to use it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep --I believe lostinbeta has it spot on there.
  • elstinko
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am really annoyed at the removing of the simple mode in the actions panel. In the Actionscript library they don't include Button actions like on rollover or onRelease Scene number and scene label. You must remember all the syntax or after researching more it seems the only easy way to utilize a simple mode is to use the new Behavior palette. It seems to have a goto and play frame label or frame number. This is much like Director. Now I wonder if you can write your own behaviors and store them for later use.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The event methods you mentioned can be found in the "Actionscript Dictionary", under MovieClip.(method). I believe they're moving away from using the "button" symbol as the primary item of interaction.

Scene names and scene labels can be found/altered/created/arranged in the Scene explorer (Window - Design Panels - Scene).

As for storing mouse events, you can create instances of buttons, for example, programatically and attach functions to them when you the get created at runtime.

I disagree entirely with your last paragraph. IMO, Flash is evolving into a real, robust tool and not just a cute little trinket.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love flash Image
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you run 7.0, go to macromedia.com and download the new patch, it helps alot and clears a few bugs up
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone dared trying to run 2004 on a 550 mhz PC/laptop ? *damn you & your 600mhz requirement macromedia* LOL
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahahahah

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts