Flash and iFrame Help Please

• kurtisnet
  • Born
  • Born
  • kurtisnet

Post 3+ Months Ago

If anyone knows what to do, or a work around please let me know. I am using Flash 8, and working on a web site where I have a html driven navigation banner. Just under it is a iframe, that loads another page. In that frame, I have a table with a flash navigation bar in one cell, and a iframe in the other. I cannot get flash to target the iframe properly. I always get a new window. Here is what I have tried.

on(release) {
getURL("raster_img_pgs/poster.html","imgFrame");
}

"raster_img_pgs/poster.html" is the path and file I am trying to load into the frame.
"imgFrame" is the name of the frame I am trying to load into.

Using Flash MX 2004, and Flash Player 7 everything works fine this way, but as soon as the page is viewed on a computer running flash player 8 or 9, it stops working, and I get my poster.html in a new window.

I saw in another post in this forum from several months ago someone saying to use this method for Flash 8.

on(release) {
poster.onRelease = function() {
};
}

Here poster is the instance name of the button. Again I continue to get a new window when executing this script.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• BooMoto
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • BooMoto
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know if this owuld work but try this on(release) {
getURL("raster_img_pgs/poster.html","imgFrame","_self");
};
}
adding the self might work, and what browser are you using
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

eeh?
BooMoto, why you confuse people?
getURL has the followin syntax: getURL(path, window, method);
So why you do: getURL("raster_img_pgs/poster.html","imgFrame","_self"); ?

As for the second code
Code: [ Select ]
on(release) {

};
}
  1. on(release) {
  2. poster.onRelease = function() {
  3. getURL("raster_img_pgs/poster.html","imgFrame");
  4. };
  5. }

i don't see the meaning for this. If you place onRelease on your poster, then why add the same function: poster.onRelease ?
I don't even know if it's working :D
the syntax is inded:
I had yesterday a similar problem, getURL was not working ... but for me it was because of the html code which was creating the swf object.
For you ... it might be a flash8 problem ... who knows.
read this first
  • kurtisnet
  • Born
  • Born
  • kurtisnet

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problems is security settings in flash player 8 and 9. If I view the same project served up from a web server everything functions properly. It is only when I view the pages locally that the getURL function dosn't target the iframe properly.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

well if your building a website then it will be online right? Seems like you don't need to worry about it then
  • kurtisnet
  • Born
  • Born
  • kurtisnet

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am happy that it works, but I do think that it is stupid that Adobe

1. Has flash set up so that you can't view projects locally and get the same functionality that you would get from a web server. This means I have to ftp my project up to my web server every time I want to get an accurate representation of how my site will function. Testing is an important phase of web site development, and should include testing from the web server, but I believe you should be able to view it locally and get the same results. (at least as far as basic navigation is concerned)

2. Why is this behavior not documented anywhere by Adobe. I spent the better half of a weekend trying to figure out why this wouldn't function properly. Now that I say "not documented anywhere," someone will probably prove me wrong, and if that happens it just means Adobe hasn't documented it properly or I would have found it when looking up how to target an iframe from there web site.
  • luckysas
  • Born
  • Born
  • luckysas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same issue as you do. There is no problem with your code, but you need to change the global security settings of your Adobe flash player.

Here is what you do
1st -- go to the adobe site:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger04.html

2nd --choose the tab "Global Security Settings" and check the radio button "always allow"

3rd-- go to edit locations...click add a location: here you can pick a trusted location on your computer for your files/folders. I picked my desktop, but you can of course also make a trusted folder.

Make sure your dreamweaver folder/files is/are in your picked location(for me that was my desktop) then try and see if your flash button loads the I frame..it should work. You may have to change these settings for every browser you choose to test with.

I hope this works for you...it did for me anyway.

good luck :)
luckysas
  • darsh999
  • darsh999

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are these files showing online or you do not release site online yet ,give full details...I think you should change security settings..

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts