Flash and Javascript Performance

• RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm running a flash that works fine and uses around 600 movieclips to create a cascading waterfall in a header on my web page (which you can see here: http://www.soluml.com/preproduction/) as well as various weather effects. I also have a JavaScript fade in/out effect that fades out the latest projects pictures and fades in the new one based on which tab you click (still in development). Now, the problem.

In Firefox (and probably other browsers, I haven't done a whole lot of cross browser checking yet) if I'm able to see the Flash and Latest Projects pictures at the same time the JavaScript effects suffer a lot. If I scroll down to the point where the flash isn't visible then there isn't an issue. Are there any apparent ways to you guys to optimize either the flash or JavaScript so that their isn't any issues?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well a big question is which version of FF are you using? 3.0 seems to have huge memory issues with the Flash player compounded with sub par js performance.

Also you could probably optimize your "waterfall" quite a bit. Are those 600 unique movieclips or 600 instances of one clip? I would use one or two clips, random math and some script for the movement if you aren't doing that already. If you take this approach, be sure to delete the clips when they're no longer visible and if the "spec" movie clip can be made up of a flash vector shape instead of an image that would increase performance significantly.
  • RockmanTV
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • RockmanTV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The waterfall is made up of 600 instances of one clip. I do use random math and tweenlite to control the motion. They are made of vectors and use the blur filter (which is set to LOW at the moment). I keep re-using the same 600 clips... would it be better to remove them and recreate new ones at the top of the waterfall performance wise?
  • IceCold
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as i know, the blur filter tends to be processor consumer.
Try to remove it and test again. As for the javascript, not sure, you can do much about it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts