Flash Background Transparency Support

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a quick question about browser support. I know the following have been listed as able to support Flash Background Transparency

Windows and Mac OS X
Internet Explorer 3 or higher (Windows)
Internet Explorer 5.1* and 5.2* (Macintosh)
Netscape 7.0*
Mozilla 1.0 or higher*
AOL*
CompuServe*

Does anyone know how Linux machines or the Safari browser handles this?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Safari works pretty well but there must be some memory issue because the larger the transparent clip size the slower safari seems to run. I don't have anything to back that up except experience trying it.

I tried it with a pretty complex tiled background and a large flash movie maybe 800x600 sitting over the top. That worked ok but doing things like resizing the flash window without a refresh or going larger/percentage size with the swf seemed to degrade performance
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I guess to explain what I'd like to try to accomplish is something along the lines of 2advanced.com main menu page. Basically I'm thinking I'd like to have the main flash file as a background that continues through the site but I'd like to load sections of the page (menus, etc) into the main movie, but the "sub-movies" I'd like to have with some level of background transparency.

Perhaps some tips on a way to approach that would be beneficial.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

well...

2advanced.com is all a single swf thats 100% wide and I assume they are loading other flash content into the main stage.
Code: [ Select ]
var so = new FlashObject("2A_v5_core.swf", "v5", "100%", "1000", "8", "#000000");

As far as I can tell all the sections are the same deal except they put different pictures in the background and make use of some deep linking javascriptness to make things look like different pages.

I would build a movie to use as the base. then use the loadMovie() to bring in other content above a background image. The nice thing about loading other swf's in at run time is that they are by default transparent no matter what background color you pick when you build them. Here's a quick tutorial on the technique and you can see it in action on one of my client's sites solospizza All the content areas (home, menu, map, etc) are individual swfs added at run time.

I think you could accomplish something similar using transparent swfs loaded into dhtml layers with z-index etc, but that seems like you'd be asking for problems :-)

Sadly even though 2Advanced Studios still does nice work, I don't think they're really remained on the bleeding edge of flash that made them so famous years ago.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey thanks for the tute and the tips. I'll study that next week at work. Nice pizza site btw.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts