Flash Chat

• Blinkster182
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Blinkster182

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi I was wonderin if anyone knew where a tutorial for making a Flash Chat Client is. It needs to be real time. Not like a message board. Instant Chat
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm. The first questions that need to be asked in return are...

1) How much actionscript do you know?
2) How much PHP/mySQL do you know?
3) What do you know about server-side flash?
4) Are you familiar with FlashComm server?

Although, i'm not entirely sure how to make a flash chat, I know you need to know all of the above. Maybe try http://www.flash-db.com for more info (didn't check, but they probably have something)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

lostinbeta wrote:
4) Are you familiar with FlashComm server?

btw, that starts at about $499 :wink:
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but lemme tell ya... it makes a Flash Chat program easier and a heck of a lot more efficient.

I once saw one made with flashcomm that supported live group chat and live webcam. Of course, this was only unveiled to certain people... as it was a huge server resource sucker.... I couldn't imagine how much more it would be without the flashcomm (and the webcam thing wouldn't really be possible)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

lostinbeta wrote:
Yeah, but lemme tell ya... it makes a Flash Chat program easier and a heck of a lot more efficient.

I was just reading a little about flashcom (hence my jumpin with pricetag :P ) about the same time as the post.

I've just started reading about the Microphone.get() & Camera.get() a few days (week or so maybe, I loose track of time sometimes :P ) ago & i've been wondering how all of that comes together (I love putting things together :D I was a Lego kid) Now I think I'm going to take some time to read up on Macromedias server products, they look to be primo stuff.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

a friend of mine used to mess with flashcomm stuff and various other macromedia server funness. He actually did a 2 player (from over the internet, not the same room) tic tac toe game, but unfortunately flashcomm is no longer installed on his server so it is no longer playable :(

Server-side flash stuff was never my cup of tea though... just never clicked with it, though I wish I could because it is extremely useful.
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm working on an experiment with this http://www.electro-server.com this program works well and has a sample chat room you can use.... It's a neat program that does everything for you without the need to type any xml.... Try the demo..

Later
:arrow: SycomCOmp :idea:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts