FLASH CMS website + secured pages

• Oktodes
  • Oktodes

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I’m looking for a way to build FLASH websites, which the user will be able to edit and control its content himself. You know, a CMS website, but then totally build in FLASH. I already started Googling on this a bit and came across these 2 things

- http://www.flashcontentmanager.com
- http://www.flashloaded.com/flashcomponents/fcmspro/

especially that last one looks interesting, but it does cost a 300 dollars for 1 website, which maybe isn’t that expensive, given it’s apparent completeness and easy to use interface, but I still want to explore other potential possibilities.

What is needed on the website, is the possibility to add text, pictures , videos and extra pages by the user himself. Also, and maybe this is the most important / difficult, there has to be the possibility to make secured pages where the client can view his pictures without downloading them  the man that’s needs this website is a photographer that wants to offer his albums to the respective client for which he made the pictures, online. 1 client should be able to watch his pictures on 1 secured page of the site, another client should be able to watch his pics on another secured page of the site, without being able to download them... I hope you know what I mean, I’m sure you know what I mean.

I believe this is possible with FCMSPRO on the flashloaded website (between the keyfeatures list on the website I see: ‘Allows for multiple users with different file upload permissions’ – so I assume that the man will be able to provide costumers a password with which they can watch their pics online, without down- or uploading something themselves?)

Is there someone that can help me on this? Is there anyone that has had some experience with FCMSPRO, Flashcontentmanager or other CMS systems already? I’m curious if I’m going to get out of this. If it will be worth deepening myself in this, or if it will be best to tell the photographer to find someone else for this job.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just curious but is it really a requirement for the entire site to be built in Flash? There are a lot of better/cheaper/easier options if you just need Flash features in an HTML site instead of an all Flash solution.
  • Oktodes
  • Oktodes

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not a requirement for the entire site to be in Flash i guess. I think i already understood that it is probably necessary for me to start learning PHP/mySQL,is that correct?

The site has to be looking a bit like this one when it is finished: http://www.dirkferdinand.net. This photographer is also able to upload his own pics, still it is all Flash is see.

If i don't have to study a week on this, i think i might give it a go, otherwise i'll have to hire a scripter i guess.

I'm actually a graphic designer, but still find this very interesting. It might come in handy for future websites i might be doing also.. so, i'm doubting now.

(edit: just came across something named 'flashblocks'. It's late here already so i'm not going to look into it now, but from what i can see from it, it looks like something handy)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the reason I ask is that all the Flash CMSs that I've ever seen are really pretty rough and would likely take you quite a bit of effort to skin/customize the way you want. (read really good knowledge of Flash).

If you know enough Flash, I would recommend that you build the gallery the way you want it and then load the content via an xml file. Then you should be able to modify a more robust CMS (wordpress, joomla, druple, etc) to feed you an xml file of your images from the database.
  • Oktodes
  • Oktodes

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, (sigh), i'm not going there this time. I know just a bit more than flash basics, a very tiny bit of actionscript, so i'm gonna pass this thing through to a professional scripter. The last time i decided to do a thing like this myself, i didn't sleep for a week.

In a next life maybe :-)

thanks a lot anyway!
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your welcome. Anyway I'd be interested in seeing what you end up with. Best of luck.
  • Oktodes
  • Oktodes

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey thanks, i'll let you know.

it might be that i let the programmer do the esthetics also, since it will become an extremely sober and minimalistic website (based on that dirkferdinand.net site). So it will be totally out of my hands i guess. Anyway, i'll still post the url here when it is online and finished.

cheers.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to see what it would take I've started building a Flash gallery that takes HTML created by wordpress, parses it as xml and then Flash reads and displays the HTML content.

I think I'm about halfway through the process but it doesn't seem too bad. Its all using this basic concept
  • Oktodes
  • Oktodes

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, i'm going to try to look into it when i find the time. Been wanting to do this for the past whole week, but... :(
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok so I got the first part to work. Basically I have javascript reading the html content of a div and feeding it into a Flash slide show.

Example Here (view the source to see what its doing)

My next step is to find a way to have Wordpress manage the actual content of the html page. I'm thinking that YAPB might do what I need in that respect.

I'm assuming that if I get this to work. The concept could be used to manage everything in a Flash site.
  • Oktodes
  • Oktodes

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting.. :) very!
  • Flanders
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Reno, Nevada US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wrote this site in Flash for a photographer. He has an area where he can add categories and photos into them and rank the order in which they are displayed. The menu system is built automatically from the categories read out of the database. I didn't design the look of it though, just did the coding.

http://www.vantagepointe.com
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flanders wrote:
He has an area where he can add categories and photos into them and rank the order in which they are displayed. The menu system is built automatically from the categories read out of the database.

How did you build that? Is it something like AMFPHP? I'd be interested to see more of how it's managed etc.

I guess my goal (maybe different from the OP) is to create a system that people can use as a presentation layer only that's fed by an existing CMS like Wordpress.
  • Flanders
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Reno, Nevada US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used PHP to build an admin area where the client can upload photos, create categories, and rank the order in which they want to be displayed. The site itself is just a flash movie that loads from the database all that info and builds the menus, slide bars and such from the info in the database.
  • rabi_mx
  • Born
  • Born
  • rabi_mx

Post 3+ Months Ago

For a while I was looking for a simple cms system for little sites, but I don't found nothing that fit my needs. All the cms system are very big, and have a hard learning curve for my final users. Then I decided to write my own from the scratch.
I think that in this week I will have finished the first functional version. Now I'm writing the image module, that will upload, resize and creates thumbnails, and define the image galleries.
You can see a preview in http://rabihernandez.prophp.us/ (sorry; for now, only in spanish). It's a very simple one-text one-image per page template, with a two levels menu. In this preview you can change text and create, delete and rearrange pages and sections.
It is made in as3, with the php part made with CodeIgniter, and all the data is stored in a mysql database, using AMFPHP for connection. Upon completion of the project, I will publish all the code with a creative commons license. Of course, I will translate it to english.
I will appreciate all your comments.
  • Oktodes
  • Oktodes

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks very good to me rabi_mx.
  • Michell
  • Born
  • Born
  • Michell

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there,

If you just need a website quick and working, check out this new cool Readyphotosite Website CMS I've recently found out and am thinking of getting to build a site for myself. It's a flash solution - yet rather user-friendly. They actually call it flash photo gallery software cause it's been mainly developed for photographers to showcase their images online, but it actually works out for any type of website starting from a basic textpage one to online shop. You're also getting a lot of fun stuff alone such as news and calendar, slideshow and mp3 track editor. It sounds like a great solution cause it's easy to manage, yet the look is gorgeous! Check it out, man! :wink:

http://www.readyphotosite.com/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts