Flash : How to Load Faster

• flashback10
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • flashback10

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I made a landscaping site a while back, but I'm still having trouble making the site load up fast. All the pictures are optimized and the video that was once there is gone. Still, it is very slow for users with a low connection speed to open the site.

Someone told me that because the flash files are all embedded in the index.html file, it loads slow. It was suggested that the pages be made seperate. I understand what they mean, but I have no idea how to do that. all my files publish seperately in an .swf file. The problem seems to be that the index.html contains all of these .swf files in one. So when someone opens the site, they are loading every single .swf file in it.

If this is the reason for a slow loading time, is there a way to publish every page as an .html file from flash? Or at least make pages load when they need to be? I'm not sure how that works.

I wonder how people with flash sites so much better than mine and advanced...how does it load so fast for them? Are advanced flash sites uploaded as .swf files or something else?

My site is so small. I don't understand the slow loading. If you could help, I'd greatly appreciate it. You can see the site here: http://www.midoaklandmaintenance.com/

Thanks.

maria-
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

To help your flash load times, only load movies when they are called by the user.

I.E.

At first only load the main moive that has all your links and other bits & pieces etc. Then when a user clicks a button, load on the next movie. It doesnt really decrease load time, just splits the load time into smaller chunks.

##############################################
Simple tutorial for calling external .swf files:
##############################################

Create a new mc and call it container_mc.
From the Library [ CTRL+L] drag & drop your empty clip onto your stage, placing it where you want the top left of your external file to be
Next give it the instance name container

Thats your clip sorted.

Now either do part 2 or 3 of below:

Create a button and place the following code in its action panel:
Code: [ Select ]
on (release) {
_root.container.loadMovie("externalFileName.swf");
}
  1. on (release) {
  2. _root.container.loadMovie("externalFileName.swf");
  3. }

On a key frame in the timeline place the following code in its action panel:
Code: [ Select ]
onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
_root.container.loadMovie("externalFileName.swf");
}
  1. onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
  2. _root.container.loadMovie("externalFileName.swf");
  3. }

Hope that helps.
  • flashback10
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • flashback10

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, it took so long to respond. I just wanted to say thank you for all your help. I did try a few things, and found another way that seemed to work pretty good. Thanks for taking the time to help. I appreciate it.

maria-

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts