Flash v HTML

• massfrequency
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why flash is better than HTML... as many reasons as you can come up with... I'm in an in depth argument, so a good 50 or 60 reasons should suffice...

I mean I do EVERYTHING in flash (applications, full fledge sites, reporting applications, content management systems etc.), and this dude thinks flash is "counterproductive"...

Your words are appreciated :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flash isn't better than HTML.

In fact, saying Flash is better than HTML is pretty much like saying a Car is better than a House.

My point being that they are two entirely different things with two entirely different purposes. I can't even think of any other similarities between them other than some websites are created using them.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock
  • Loc: My cubical

Post 3+ Months Ago

Without HTML there is no Flash!

'nuff said
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

lostinbeta wrote:

My point being that they are two entirely different things with two entirely different purposes.
ditto
  • solidarity
  • solidarity

Post 3+ Months Ago

lostinbeta wrote:

In fact, saying Flash is better than HTML is pretty much like saying a Car is better than a House.

My point being that they are two entirely different things with two entirely different purposes. I can't even think of any other similarities between them other than some websites are created using them.

Agreed whole-heartedly... I use both for different purposes,
HTML/PHP/SQL for web pages. (with a pretty flash header or something)
Flash/PHP/SQL for some apps or things that have to look more attractive and flowing.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cuerock wrote:
Without HTML there is no Flash!

'nuff said

No, without HTML there is no Flash embedded in an HTML file. The plugin still displays a .swf file in a browser if it isn't embedded, it just doesn't look as nice and isn't a good idea. :wink: :wink:
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

he might have just been saying in terms of web technology history ;)
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
he might have just been saying in terms of web technology history ;)

Pretty much HUH!
Also, to write anything on a pc program it uses HTML It is like the alphabet to us
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking that he wasn't asking it in the way that you guys thought he was. I think that just like he was asking, is animation better- flash websites, or are static pages better. Maybe in terms of how it appeals to an audience? Personally i think flash is 'better'. But it would be even 'better' if i knew how to use flash mx :)
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even then it is all depending on what you are using it for. I wouldn't want to build a site like kirupa.com, flashkit.com or actionscript.org all in Flash, that indeed would be counterproductive and just plain pointless.

In the end it comes down to useage and personal prefence.
  • massfrequency
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some Clarifications...

I was simply asking in a 'general' perspective, is flash better than HTML... for sites not updated more than once or twice a week...
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I think I made my vote clear... heh. That would be for HTML... :lol: Not that theres anything wrong with flash sites, I just find HTML to be better than Flash (ironically I am working on my first Flash site.... lol)
  • JiRaffe
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

you need to consider accessibility to your site as well. some slightly-blind people may want bigger fonts. or completely blind people may want they text read out. if you use flash then all the browser reads is one file, rather than lots of text and pictures and stuff. also, search engines won't pick up on anything within a flash file. and not everybody has a flash plug-in as well. granted, most people have Flash 4 or above, but not everyone. no plug-in needed for html.

i do a lot of work in flash, but we mustn't forget the neccessity of html.
  • Cuerock
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Cuerock

Post 3+ Months Ago

HTML site would be alot easier to manage if you update it 2x a week. It also depends on how much you are updating. If it is a minimal amount then go with flash, but if it quite a bit of info being re-arranged then go with HTML! :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My thoughts -- I have one computer that's a rabbit -- and one that's a turtle. Intel Celeron 1 Ghz vs. a 7 year old Intel P150 -- I can barely view flash pages on my old one, and I'm sure there's quite a few out there that are still using Dinosaurs.

I love Flash pages (that are done with some thought), but I'll take an HTML page that loads in half a second over Flash any day of the week.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Flash has a such a bad rep from nothing more than BAD DESIGNERS.
I have an old 133 as well, and it does just fine with good flash designs.

bad designers = bad designs

drives me crazy that the stigma of a flash site is so harsh, and it's not
flash that is the problem. :evil:

There's just as many bad html sites, with extra large, overloaded
graphics that do just as much damage as a bad flash site. Let's give
flash a break huh? :x :roll:
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

My old computer was crap with some Flash sites... but I got more ram for it and it improved (not perfect, but better). So as Unflux said, it's how well the site is designed. A well thought out design will not be too processor intensive, meaning not too many things going on at once animation or otherwise, and it will work good on many older systems.
  • sannsar4
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Prishtina / Kosovo

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think flash is better to show your skills of design but HTML is more for work
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please explain.

I've seem some excellently designed HTML sites... and some poorly designed HTML sites. Same goes for Flash site. I don't think the medium matters, it's the skill in that medium.
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Lincolnshire, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
search engines won't pick up on anything within a flash file

Just what I was thinking. With a Flash website, there is no content that search engines can work with, your results will be low.

If I was going to make a flash website, I'd just use Flash for parts like a title image, and animation within the site. The rest I'd use HTML. That was you have your Flash look, and more chance of the search engine results.

Furthermore, if people don't have the correct Flash plugin, then they may not be able to see you nice looking title, but at least they'd be able ot see the contents of the page, which at the end of the day is the important part.
  • sannsar4
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

your imaginate is in working when you are working with flash but html just code code code anda bit art
  • sannsar4
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

now the flash is in form for a few years there will be no html i think flash is easier an more /intresting

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts