Flash intro file size?

• sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just curious what a good size would be? (fast loading friendly?)

I'm starting a project that I would like to do as much as possible in flash. (I guess I mean the part between when the page loads and the first event listener such as a click to enter or menu.. when all motion will stop on this page)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DEVNEB
  • Loc: Quebec

Post 3+ Months Ago

In fact, there is no good size. If you want a fast loading intro, you need to put your big sized assets external (bitmaps, sounds, etc) and load them from your intro. So you can control loading speed, even if the sum of all assets is big.

200Ko would be really fast on a high speed connection, but slow on a low speed connection. Fast loading is purely relative to the client connection and computer.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would have to agree loading everything off the server and just keep the code and core stuff in the SWF.

You could try compression on the files to make it smaller, MP3's are the biggest pain i would guess so re-encoding music to a lower bitrate will reduce some loading time if sound is in the package.

been looking around for some better info but most people seam to think compression and long movie file SWF splitting them up.

Good Luck with the project
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks!
Devneb, that was my thoughts too, or at least < 350 kb.

Zealous, I'm definitely going to have to try loading off the server on one of them, it's 2.24MB and I don't want to start cutting down on quality just for the sake of fast loading.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

More so i was not thinking of cutting down quality but downloading the into using multi connections like firefox default downloads 4 things at a time using the pipelines.

Now what i was thinking is that the SWF can be download with images and music but this is just a theory that it may load faster using a few pipelines.

If you got it sorted all good but moreso just want to split things up. Then again the global average is 8mb so if your main market is USA don't think it would really matter.

anyway good luck.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, I didn't think you meant to skimp on quality. I'm not totally sure I understand what you are saying, but if you mean that there is a way to "link" some of the graphics into the movie from a directory on the server, then I'm all for that.

(I mean, is there a way to "link" graphics into the frames instead of importing them into the fla library?) I doubt I'm explaining very well what I am thinking, lol.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

let me do some research and i will see if it will make much difference, but more so the more pipelines you have the more items it will download at once.

10 pipes will be 10 downloads at once.

i am going to do some more research on it, see if i can not work something up.
  • sherma
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Zealous! (I don't suppose "bottle necking" is something to consider as the number of pipes increase?)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts