Flash Navigation menu problem

• Cat6000
  • Cat6000

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there, I have made a flash horizontal nav menu, with 1 sub menu layer.

View the swf here

http://people.aapt.net.au/catriona6000/test.html

Basically the buttons are individual movie clips with hit areas defined and all works fine except one button. When i mouse off it fast or mouse out in a certain area the sub menu stays on, when it should disappear. When i mouse out slowly or at a normal speed it works. It is like the mouse is going too fast to see where the hit area is and skips over it.

It mainly happens with the mouse going from 'poly tanks' to 'buyer advice' but not the other way around...

Does anyone know how to fix this - Please! its driving me nuts...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I get a 404 error with that link.

Besides, I would avoid a Flash navigation for SEO reasons.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

why does the world continue to believe that Flash = bad SEO? Its all about how you do it people. There are many ways around that issue: javascript replacement with alt nav, flash's published url list, a site map to name a few.

Stop hating flash because its been used badly. Thats a little like saying people paint their houses ugly colors so paint should be removed from the real estate market...

Maybe in Cat6000's case presentation is more important that searchability

@Cat6000 I also get a 404 but I'm wondering if the button your referring to is at the edge of a Flash peice? In other words does your mouse go from over flash to over html? Flash doesn't actually think that the mouse ever leaves the bounds of a flash movie so you could be running into something similar where the hit area doesn't register correctly.
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, agreed that Flash is often miss-used. However I still would not recommend it for a main site navigation. No matter all the things you are talking about, a spider will read this much more easily:
Code: [ Select ]
<ul>
 <li><a href="page_name.htm" title="Page Name">Page name</a></li>
</ul>
  1. <ul>
  2.  <li><a href="page_name.htm" title="Page Name">Page name</a></li>
  3.  <li><a href="page_name.htm" title="Page Name">Page name</a></li>
  4.  <li><a href="page_name.htm" title="Page Name">Page name</a></li>
  5. </ul>

And that's a fact.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

True, But I use that as well as the flash Nav on every site I build. Simply place the flash with Javascript and a spider that doesn't understand JS will see the html content and not the flash... Just takes a little forethought to do it right.
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fair enough. To each his own I guess.

However I am a strong believer in semantic XHTML that can be resized with ease, read quickly with a screen-reader, is faster loading, and doesn't require the user to install something other than a browser.

Don't get me wrong. Flash certainly has it's place. I just don't belive it is in a site navigation.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest I really agree with what your saying. I just find that as a designer the visual limitations of xhtml and images don't produce the look I want (even for navigation) and I therefore have to relate to something else. I dont' always agree with Jakob Neilson that people want to use the web to click on a series of links. There are a lot of different navigation concepts available and if I pick something else I have to figure out all the ways to maintain accessability :-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts