Flash Newbie SOS

• dexskong
  • dexskong
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, Im a flash newbie and Im currently working on a corporate flash marketing kit, and Im facing SOME
technical problems using flash.

Project Dimension: 1024x768

Flowchart:

1) Main Movie_Scene01 =>

a) Welcome page with major content links.

b) BUTTON "Color SMS2u Interactive Presentation".

on (release) {
gotoAndPlay("Scene 2", 1);
}

c) Other minor content links currently.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Main Movie_Scene02 =>

a) The stage displaying all externally loaded SWF files

b) A "RETURN TO MAINPAGE" (scene01) BUTTON (back to scene01)

on (release) {
gotoAndPlay("Scene 2", "exit_seq");
unloadMovieNum(1);
}

c) List of content BUTTONS to load up the external SWF

on (release) {
loadMovieNum("test_scene.swf", 1);
}

d) An "EXIT" BUTTON

on (release) {
fscommand("quit");
}

3) External SWF

a) Dimension same as the main movie 1024x768.

b) A movie clip (instance name "myClip") created for content, placement coordinates same as the location of SWF display in the main movie.

c) Content is streamline animated sequence with background music and voice over narration; also alot of
frame delay action:

1st frame:

stop();
myTimer = setInterval( function(){ gotoAndPlay(frame);}, 5000 );

2nd frame:

clearInterval(myTimer);

d) In root, "play" , "stop" and "Replay" buttons to control the movie clip "myClip".

- on (release) {
myClip.play();
}

- on (release) {
myClip.stop();
}

- on (release) {
myclip.gotoAndPlay(1);
}

** I would like to add in a SEEK BAR, to let user drag along the sequence, but i have no idea how to do it,
anyone help...

Here are my problems:

1) Load external SWF button, when I click to load up the SWF, it play the sequence nicely all the way to the end.

However, in the middle of the playing session, if I click the same swf load up button again, the SWF will
logically restart and play from the beginning, but it ends up the whole sequence haywired, like frame skipping and looping.

2) MovieClip control, "Play" and "Stop" seems working fine, but the "Replay" button seems causing the same outcome during the playing session when you click it.

3) How to add in a SeekBar to control the movie clip?

4) Same situation as #1), during the SWF playing session, by clicking the "RETURN TO MAINPAGE" button, the whole main movie gone mad, it jump back to SCENE01 mainpage then jump to SCENE02 back and fore, nonstop; the STOP action in frame is totally not working at all.

I have tried to take out the unLoadMovieNum() in the "RETURN TO MAINPAGE" button to trace the problem, I tested the button again while the external SWF was still playing.

It jumped back to mainpage and STOP, but the external SWF still hanging on stage overlaying the mainpage (SCENE01).

So thats it, I deperately need help from you guys. PLease.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow! That's a lot of information. :)

The first thing you might want to try is to condense everything to a single timeline as opposed to multiple scenes. The use of scenes has been generally discouraged since...I don't know...maybe Flash 6, or so.

In 2a, you said, "The stage displaying all externally loaded SWF files". How many external files are you loading and playing? Is this Flash content or other media that being loaded? If Flash, are you sure everything is getting loaded and unloaded cleanly? Are the external files calling other external files? Is everything working at the same framerate? Are these linear presentations or is there some sort of interactivity?

If I may jump to a conclusion, it's sounds like you might just be complicating something simple for no reason. Just an instinct. But, again, you've posted a lot of information here and it's hard to tell from your descriptions without poking through the actual file.
  • dexskong
  • dexskong

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I ll try to get everything into ONE scene to see how it results.

For the questions:

How many external files are you loading and playing?
- Basicallly there ll be around 6 or 7 files to be loaded externally.

Is this Flash content or other media that being loaded?
- there will be all flash media, no videos or else, juz swf.

If Flash, are you sure everything is getting loaded and unloaded cleanly?
- Frankly speaking Im not really sure, I came across some tutorial about how to use loadMovieNum() to do the trick and unload them. I did accordingly to make it work. >_<

Are the external files calling other external files?
- No, the external swf files are all linear animated sequence.

Is everything working at the same framerate?
- Yes, it is.

Are these linear presentations or is there some sort of interactivity?
- All external swf are mostly linear presentations, not entirely interactive. But the movie control buttons (play. stop. & replay) are included into the root section to control the movie clip.

I did the whole linear presentation in a movie clip, then apply those buttons to control it.

>_< You probably right that I may be complicating things around, this is my first time dealing with flash, lol.

I ll get ready the actual files, Ive juz started this project, most of the elements r not ready yet (audio & etc)
  • dexskong
  • dexskong

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, this is the project im working on:

http://www.darkwingsdesign.com/html/demo.html

Please go to "Color SMS2u Interactive Presentation" > "User Instruction". That s the only section with working content, the rest is empty.

please comment.

** preloader not included yet >_O
  • DPZero
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should create 'Up' animation for buttons as well. It will add a nice effect to the website.

After you click the Interactive Presentation button, the menu takes about 3 seconds to display all of the buttons. You should make it 0.5-1 second max, otherwise it will just annoy users. Try switching to 25 fps and cutting frame numbers in the tweens to half. A very fast movement looks cool as well :)

You should also consider moving the buttons in from the right side instead of the top.

Best of luck :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts