flash player problem

• montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

upgrading to flash player 9.. is browser's plugins or freeware downloads?

i need ur views.

i have completed one site.. using flash+php+css+html(div)+some png. Now the site is complete.
And ceo was not able to view site properly, just because of not having flash player 9 installed.
When he was told to installed latest flash player, he said he don't wanna do that. Because that is freeware software.. and downloading that is bit risky. As it is freeware, so there is risk of spyware and virus along with that..

So here my question is flash player is plug ins or freeware downloads. As far as i know its a browser's plug ins.

Now here what do i say to my client?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

:roll: How dumb can people get? Your client doesn't know what Flash is but he wants a website? Tell him it's too risky to have Internet Explorer running on his computer and let him bang his head over trying to uninstall it. :D
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

that was nice :D

but i don't understand what to say to my client.. or else i have to convert all flash to compatiable to flash player6 and convert png to gif or jpg.

but that will distroy the look and feel of site.

i wish i could say that "uninstall internet explorer"

:D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tell your client Flash is not considered Freeware. It is a Plug-in. Plugins are typically developed by respected and trusted companies for the sole purpose of enhancing your browsers interactive capabilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plugin

Flash is probably the most popular and most used plugin available. The need for upgrading is because flash applications developed in newer versions of Flash, such as CS2 and CS3 require upgraded players to take advantage of the new capabilities.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice solution.. i hope my client will agree on this..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

He really has no choice in the matter. If he wants the site the way you designed it, he has to upgrade the player. And it isn't just what you've developed for him. There are many other websites he won't be able to view properly if he doesn't. He wouldn't be able to view over half of my company website for example because some of the features I've added require Flash 8 or higher.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya i know..

but he can ask to redesign and work from the start. And i don't know weather he is gone pay for that. Because redesign and work from the start means equal to new project. :(
even now project is complete and half of the amount he has to pay.
seems like .. flash player plug-ins or problem. :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Listen, he, asked for a desgin, you gave him what he wanted. Be firm and don't compromise your work just because he's paranoid. Show him this thread if you have to. You asked for advice from professionals and you've been given appropriate advice.

If you designed the site with Flash and the components are not backward compatible with older versions, then he needs to get over his qualms and upgrade. Just because he's paranoid doesn't mean the rest of the world is. The internet isn't static. It changes. Things are improved constantly and Flash is one of them.

To prove my point, send him to msn.com. If he hasn't already done so, he needs to install the new silverlight plugin to view it properly. If he he installed Silverlight because Microsoft is a trusted source, then he should have no problems upgrading Flash because Adobe is a trusted source.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that was gr8 boost..
i'll do this ^

• jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If he doesn't go for any of the above (which would be crazy) you could always replace the Flash object with a static image in browsers that don't have the player. I think that's pretty easy to do using swfobject.
Code: [ Select ]
<script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>

<div id="flashcontent">
Put the static image here
</div>

<script type="text/javascript">
var so = new SWFObject("movie.swf", "mymovie", "400", "200", "8", "#336699");
so.write("flashcontent");
</script>
  1. <script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>
  2. <div id="flashcontent">
  3. Put the static image here
  4. </div>
  5. <script type="text/javascript">
  6. var so = new SWFObject("movie.swf", "mymovie", "400", "200", "8", "#336699");
  7. so.write("flashcontent");
  8. </script>
  • nina7683
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • nina7683

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow,interesting...
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

@jameson5555: ya that's gr8 idea and i know that.. but the problem is navigation is also in flash.. see here:- theteajunction.co.in

any way.. as u all know client is paranoid.. so now he has asked for 2 version. one with flash and another without flash... so now i'll convert all flash components to images.. with one splash screen at beginning..
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does your client realize that the link at the bottom (Ambuja Realty) also uses Flash? Isn't he convinced yet that Flash isn't spyware?

The site itself is very well designed, but you should probably revamp the main page - the "LAUNCH SITE" link is so small that it's easy to miss. Moreover it says "You need Flash plugin to view this site" even though I have Flash installed. Why not automatically check if the user has Flash?
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

now i feel like to say to client. "please uninstall your internet explorer" as he don't wanna download anything..
coz browsers also download temporary files to their temporary internet folder. And even browsing site from IE is not safe as compare to other browser.
LOL :D
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

@casablanca: automatic checking is not the problem.. that just to tell viewers to install flash player if they don't have...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad your client isn't my client. He and I would have come to blows.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL :D i wish i could blow
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

montyt wrote:
@jameson5555: ya that's gr8 idea and i know that.. but the problem is navigation is also in flash.. see here:- theteajunction.co.in

any way.. as u all know client is paranoid.. so now he has asked for 2 version. one with flash and another without flash... so now i'll convert all flash components to images.. with one splash screen at beginning..

Wow, nice site! I particularly like the steam coming up from the coffee/tea cup.

I wouldn't even worry about the navigation being in Flash, since you did the right thing and used text links on the bottom of the page. I'd even go a step further and say get rid of the splash page entirely. If you replace most of the Flash with images, you'll still have a very functional and attractive site, even for the relatively few people who don't have a Flash player.

I know, I know... the customer's always right... :roll:
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

well thanks... i can't do that... as we all know client is always right
LOL :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts